Course Structure #3
3 Expectations for student assignment completion, grade policy, and faculty response are clearly provided in the course syllabus.
Deficient Developing Accomplished Exemplary
The Faculty Handbook information about syllabi (known at SJSU as “greensheets”) points to the College of Applied Sciences and Arts Greensheet Checklist which provides a concise guide that lists the information each course syllabus must contain. It includes:
- Assignments, homework, fieldwork, participation
- Tentative course calendar
- How letter grades are determined
- Extra credit options, if available
- Percentage weight assigned to class assignments
- Penalty (if any) for late or missed work
Additional information about each assignment is included in the course site. Faculty are encouraged to provide rubrics in order to clarify expectations and grading criteria for assignments. All new faculty members learn about rubrics in the Teaching Online course.
Faculty contact information and a statement regarding office hours are clearly stated on each syllabus.
The Minimum Instructional Expectations in the Faculty Handbook documents the following points regarding communications:
- communicate with students, colleagues and staff in a respectful and timely (i.e., within 48 hours) manner
- when out of communication for an extended period of time set an automatic response to email and voice messages unless you are planning on checking/answering at regular intervals, or otherwise alert students to times when you will be unavailable
Syllabi for all courses are available via the iSchool Web site.