Evaluation and Assessment #11
11. (70) Course evaluations collect student feedback on quality of content and effectiveness of instruction.
Not Observed Insufficient Moderate Use Meets Criterion Completely
Student Opinion of Teaching Effectiveness (SOTE)
The California State University uses a uniform student evaluation form – Student Opinion of Teaching Effectiveness (SOTE). The evaluation is administered online centrally by the University.
Following are the SOTE rating questions:
- Demonstrated relevance of the course content
- Used assignments that enhanced learning
- Summarized/emphasized important points
- Established an atmosphere that facilitated learning
- Was approachable for assistance
- Was responsive to the diversity of the students in this class
- Showed strong interest in teaching this class
- Used intellectually challenging teaching methods
- Used fair grading methods
- Helped students analyze complex/abstract ideas
- Provided meaningful feedback about student work
Faculty members are encouraged to conduct a mid semester evaluation.