Evaluation and Assessment #8
8. (67) Course evaluations are examined in relation to faculty performance evaluations.
Not Observed Insufficient Moderate Use Meets Criterion Completely
Student Opinion of Teaching Effectiveness (SOTE)
The California State University uses a uniform student evaluation form – Student Opinion of Teaching Effectiveness (SOTE). All classes are evaluated each time taught. The results are provided to the faculty members and to the Director. An overall standard of a 4.0 (on a 5.0 scale) is expected. If a faculty member fails to reach this after 3 attempts they are not retained. The Director’s review is also reviewed by the Associate Dean of the College.
Following are the SOTE rating questions:
- Demonstrated relevance of the course content
- Used assignments that enhanced learning
- Summarized/emphasized important points
- Established an atmosphere that facilitated learning
- Was approachable for assistance
- Was responsive to the diversity of the students in this class
- Showed strong interest in teaching this class
- Used intellectually challenging teaching methods
- Used fair grading methods
- Helped students analyze complex/abstract ideas
- Provided meaningful feedback about student work
A tenured faculty member conducts peer reviews of all part time faculty using a peer evaluation form. Her reviews form part of the Director’s annual assessment of part time faculty.
Retention, Tenure, Promotion
Full time faculty are reviewed via the University’s Retention, Tenure, Promotion (RTP) guidelines.
Full time tenure track faculty are evaluated over a 6 year period.