How to Gain Experience that Makes You an Attractive Candidate
- Work in an academic library.
- Find an internship (see the SJSU iSchool Internships site for a variety of physical and virtual internships).
- Vary your experience as much as possible - teach library instruction sessions or courses, develop or contribute to Web services, supervise students, work at the reference desk, work in technical services.
- Check out academic libraries in the areas where you live and inquire about internship possibilities if you can't find something that works for you through the iSchool.
- If you’re unable to find opportunities to volunteer, intern, or work in an academic library, try to find opportunities that let you do work similar to that you’d do in an academic library setting so you can build and point to “transferable skills.”
In addition, keep your eye out for other volunteer opportunities, such as serving as a moderator at the annual Library 2.0 conference, etc. Be sure to read iSchool announcement emails for Library 2.0 and other volunteer options – you might be surprised how many opportunities there are.