Interview Questions to Ask
Most questions you ask will come from your own research and curiosity. Below are some suggested questions:
About the Career Field
- How did you get into this career?
- What did you do before entering this career?
- What is a typical day like? What are your responsibilities? What advice do you have for someone preparing for a career in this field?
- What courses and/or advanced degree(s) would be helpful for me? What experience is necessary to enter this field?
- What do you like most/least about your job?
About the Organization/Industry
- How did you get into this organization/industry? What other organizations have you worked for?
- What is unique to your industry, organization, or office?
- Describe your work environment.
- How does your organization fill job openings?
- What other organizations in this field would you recommend I explore for opportunities?
- Which professional publications/organizations and other resources do you consider relevant?
About Future Growth/Salary Information
- What are the employment prospects for someone entering this field?
- What is the growth and promotional potential in your field?
- Currently, how secure are positions in your field?
- What areas are growing/changing in this field?
- What is a typical starting salary range in this field?
- Can you recommend other professionals in this field with whom I should speak? May I use your name when I contact them?
- May I contact you again if I have further questions?
- Is there any way I can return the favor of you spending time with me? If not now, please consider me “on call” if I can be of assistance in the future.