Resume Writing Tips
- Start here if you are new to resume writing or if it has been awhile since you updated your resume.
- Limit your resume to one or two pages maximum.
- Always give specific examples of accomplishments, skills, and results.
- Start sentences with action verbs followed by descriptive words.
- Proofread carefully for spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors.
- Make sure verb tenses are correct. Present tense for current jobs, past tense for past jobs.
- Use traditional fonts (Times New Roman, Arial, Calibri, Verdana) sized 10-12 points.
- Keep your resume free of vertical and horizontal lines, graphics, color, italics, and columns.
- Do not include references on your resume. A “References Provided” statement is not necessary at the bottom of your resume. (Provide references only when requested.)