Completing the MARA Candidacy Approval Form
Note: The SJSU Petition for Advancement to Graduate Candidacy form has changed. Please be sure you are using the most current form, available from this location.
- Student Information
- Degree Information
- Proposed Graduate Degree Program
- Required Signatures
- How to Submit Your Candidacy Form
This page contains instructions for MARA candidacy applicants. Instructions for MLIS candidacy applicants can be found on the page, Completing the MLIS Candidacy Approval Form.
Candidacy Approval Form [PDF]. The requirements for completing this form are fairly strict. Following the instructions below will help you successfully complete the form and avoid the delays and problems associated with needing to resubmit it. You can view a sample completed form [PDF]. You will need the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader to download and complete this form online. The best thing to do is download the Adobe Software that is free to students.
- OPEN the Candidacy Approval Form [PDF].
- Do a FILE/SAVE AS to your computer, renaming the file as follows: [YOURLASTNAME_YOURFIRSTNAME_STUDENTIDNUMBER].pdf.
- Open this file from your computer and, using Adobe Reader, TYPE directly into the form you see displayed on your computer screen.
- SAVE to your computer desktop.
- Last Name/First Name, etc. — Click in the area marked "Last Name" and type in your last name. Complete the rest of this section by moving to each field and clicking in the area where you wish to type.
- Student ID: Enter your MySJSU ID
- Current Address, City, State and Zip: Enter your most up to date information in these fields.
- Daytime Phone/ Email Address: Include your most recent telephone number and email address.
2. Degree Information
- Degree Sought, e.g., MBA; Type in “MARA”.
- Leave the Major and Concentration fields blank.
- Plan — Select the “B)” (Non-Thesis) button.
- Means of satisfying Graduate Writing Assessment Requirement: type in “MARA 200” and then the semester you completed that course.
3. Proposed Graduate Degree Program
Section 3.A Courses
When listing your courses, follow the format in the example below. List all of the iSchool courses that you have taken or that you plan on taking. Be sure to list semester units, grades received, and the semester it was or will be completed. List the courses in order taken, not numerically. For future classes, leave the Grade blank, but fill in the Semester Completed and Semester Units.
You must complete 42 units for the MARA degree. Do not list MARA 289 here. List it in Section B below. Do not list more than the required number of units needed for the program! If you have taken more than the required number of units, do not list more than the 42 units required. Be sure to list the required Core Classes. Visit this page for MARA required classes, based on admission date. List your Culminating Experience course (MARA 289) in Section B below; do not list it here. List elective courses taken as “LIBR” through Summer 2015; then list them as “INFO” starting with Fall 2015.The course grades listed on the candidacy form must result in an overall GPA of at least 3.0 (B). World Languages classes are to go in Section A. Students who carry an "Incomplete" grade will not be permitted to apply for candidacy.
If you have taken LIBR or INFO courses, list them in section A along with the MARA courses, in the order taken.
List only the classes that have a grade of C or higher. Do not list any classes with a grade of C- or below. If a student gets a C or better, it will count towards the degree. If a student gets a C- or lower, that class cannot be used on the Graduate Candidacy application or counted toward the degree. Instead, the student will have to take another class in substitution to get up to 42 units.
Use the titles on your transcript or MySJSU class list. You can also find course titles on the iSchool Course Descriptions list.
Section 3.B Culminating Experience
In this section, list your planned MARA 289 course.
Check the second box: Last completed project or comprehensive exam-preparation course (Plan B). Remember to type in “MARA” on the Course Prefix/Catalog No. line to the left and list the units and semester in the columns on the right, but do not list a grade. MARA 289 can only be taken in Spring or Fall.
Section 3.C Transfer Courses (including Open University & SJSU Graduate Courses Taken as a Senior)
In this section, list courses taken before matriculating as part of the SJSU iSchool’s MLIS program, such as in the i.School Open Classes program. Be sure to list grades received, semester units, and the semester it was or will be completed. WISE classes are taken as INFO 298 and should be listed in section A on the Candidacy form.
In this section, list any courses that you wish to transfer from other schools. Before doing this, please carefully read the information on the Transferring Units page. The total units should not exceed 9 units. Note that iSchool will not approve any substitute for a required iSchool class. Do not supply a “Substituted for” class. Only list the information from the institution where you took the courses.
Total Units — Fill in the number of units from Sections A, B, and C and the Total. You must complete 42 units for the MARA degree.
4. Required Signatures
Student Signature — Use Adobe Acrobat to provide a digital signature on the Student Signature line, or sign it electronically (if you have an electronic signature using another program). Leave all other signatures blank. The iSchool office will print a hardcopy of your form, review it, obtain the other necessary signatures, and deliver your form to GAPE.
5. List of steps to submit the Candidacy Approval Form.
- Proofread carefully to be sure you have correctly completed all the requested information.
- Save to your own computer/desktop; save file as [YOURLASTNAME_YOURFIRSTNAME_STUDENTIDNUMBER].pdf.
- Make sure to upload your Candidacy Form to the appropriate Canvas drop box in the iSchool Advising and Administration site before the GAPE deadlines.
- iSchool staff will print a hardcopy of your form, review it, obtain signatures, and deliver it to the GAPE office.
GAPE takes at least a couple of months to properly evaluate your candidacy petition. You will know when if your candidacy has been approved in two ways: you will see it under “Other Indicators,” on MySJSU and you will receive a hard copy in the mail. Make sure MySJSU has your correct and current e-mail and mailing addresses. The School of Information has no information as to the status of your candidacy application; please do not contact the iSchool for this information.