This page contains instructions for MLIS candidacy applicants. Instructions for MARA candidacy applicants can be found on the page, Completing the MARA Candidacy Approval Form.
Candidacy Approval Form [PDF]. The requirements for completing this form are fairly strict. Following the instructions below will help you successfully complete the form and avoid the delays and problems associated with needing to resubmit it. You can view a sample completed form [PDF]. You will need the latest version of Adobe Acrobatto download and complete this form online.
- OPEN the Candidacy Approval Form [PDF].
- Do a FILE/SAVE AS to your computer desktop, renaming the file as follows: [YOURLASTNAME_YOURFIRSTNAME_STUDENTIDNUMBER].pdf.
- Open this file from your desktop and, using Adobe Reader, TYPE directly into the form you see displayed on your computer screen.
- SAVE to your computer desktop.
- Last Name/First Name, etc. — Click in the area marked "Last Name" and type in your last name. Complete the rest of this section by moving to each field and clicking in the area where you wish to type.
Date, Degree, and Plan
- Date — Type in the date when you are filling out the form.
- Degree — Click on the drop down box and select “MLIS”.
- Plan — Click on drop down box. iSchool students taking the LIBR 289 e-Portfolio course should choose “B) Non-Thesis”. If you are writing a thesis to satisfy the culminating requirement, choose “A) Thesis (299 unit req)” option.
- Leave the Degree Major and Concentration boxes blank.
Competency in Written English and Change of Classification
- Competency in Written English — type in “LIBR 200” and then the semester you completed that course.
- Change of Classification, Previous College Degree etc. — Leave these blank as per example.
Courses Within the Department (Section A)
When listing your courses, follow the format in the example below. List all of the iSchool courses that you have taken or that you plan on taking. Be sure to list semester units, grades received, and the semester it was or will be completed. List the courses in order taken, not numerically. For future classes, leave the Grade blank, but fill in the Semester Completed and Semester Units.
- Some students will list 13 classes to obtain a 42–credit degree. If you started your coursework in Fall 2008 or afterwards, you will also list Libr 203 to obtain your 43–credit degree. Do not list more than the required number of units needed for the program! If you have taken more than the required number of units, do not list more than the 42 or 43 units. Be sure to list the required Core Classes of LIBR 200, 202, 203, 204, and 285. List your Culminating Experience course (Libr 289 or Libr 299) in Section B below; do not list it here. The course grades listed on the candidacy form must result in an overall GPA of at least 3.0 (B). If any of the coursework that is to be applied toward your Master's Degree was completed in another department at SJSU, list it in Part C.
- List only the classes that have a grade of C or higher. Do not list any classes with a grade of C- or below. If a student gets a C or better, it will count towards the degree. If a student gets a C- or lower, that class cannot be used on the Graduate Candidacy application or counted toward the degree. Instead, the student will have to take another class in substitution to get up to 42 or 43 units.
- You can find course titles on the iSchool Course Descriptions list.
Culminating Experience (Section B)
In this section, list how you intend on fulfilling the culminating requirement. This can be either LIBR 299 Thesis or LIBR 289.
Culminating: (select one only) — If you plan to do a Thesis, check the "299 Thesis/Creative Project" box and indicate the units you plan to do for your Thesis and the semester in which you plan to complete the Thesis. If you plan to complete the e-Portfolio option to satisfy the University’s graduation requirement, check the second box and type in “289”. Remember to type in “LIBR” on the Department line to the left and list the units and semester in the columns on the right, but do not list a grade. LIBR 289 and 299 are not offered in the Summer. They can only be taken in Spring or Fall.
Courses in Other Departments (Section C)
- In this section, list all courses taken or that you plan on taking in any departments outside of the iSchool. Be sure to list grades received, semester units, and the semester it was or will be completed.
Transfer Courses (Section D)
- In this section, list any courses that you wish to transfer from other schools. Before doing this, please carefully read the information on the Transferring Units page. The total units should not exceed 9 units. Note that iSchool will not approve any substitute for a required iSchool class. Do not supply a “Substituted for” class. Only list the information from the institution where you took the courses.
Total Units (Section D)
- Total Units — Fill in the number of units from Sections A, B, C, and D, and the total units will automatically fill in. You should have 42 total units if you were a new student prior to Fall 2008. You should have 43 total units if were a new student in Fall 2008 or afterwards.
- Signature — Type your name and the date on the Student Signature and Date lines. Leave all other signatures blank. The iSchool office will print a hardcopy of your form, review it, obtain the other necessary signatures, and deliver your form to GAPE.
List of steps to submit the Candidacy Approval Form.
- Proofread carefully to be sure you have correctly completed all the requested information.
- Save to your own computer/desktop; save file as [YOURLASTNAME_YOURFIRSTNAME_STUDENTIDNUMBER].pdf.
- Make sure to upload your Candidacy Form to the appropriate Canvas drop box in the iSchool Advising and Administration site BY THE iSchool DEADLINE (one week before the GAPE deadlines).
GAPE takes at least a couple of months to properly evaluate your candidacy petition. They will notify you if your candidacy petition has been approved or denied through the mail, e-mail, and under “Other Indicators” on My SJSU. Make sure MySJSU has your correct and current e-mail and mailing addresses. The School of Information has no information as to the status of your candidacy application; please do not contact the iSchool for this information.