MacOS Sierra Compatibility
MacOS Sierra (v10.12)
The School of Information is not currently supporting MacOS Sierra. We are in the process of testing compatibility and checking with software vendors for certification timelines. We will continue to add relevant notes to this page.
Please note that users who choose to upgrade to Sierra at this time do so at their risk. iSchool IT support staff will not be able to assist with any technical issues experienced following an upgrade to Sierra.
PRODUCT SPECIFIC NOTES
Adobe Products (Adobe Acrobat Reader, Creative Cloud, Document Cloud, and Adobe Flash):
- The most recent version of Adobe Flash is compatible with Sierra, however note that Safari 10 disables Flash by default.
- Collaborate Launcher for Mac: The Collaborate Launcher for Mac is provisionally supported under MacOS Sierra. Please report any problems to Stanley Laufer.
- Supported Web Browsers for Sierra:
- Unsupported Web Browsers for Sierra:
- Supported Versions of PowerPoint for Sierra:
Blackboard IM is provisionally supported under MacOS Sierra. Please report any problems to Stanley Laufer.
- Cataloger's Desktop:
- Classification Web:
- OCLC Connexion:
- RDA Toolkit
Java: Java is required in situations where you might use the integration between Blackboard IM and Blackboard Collaborate Web Conferencing. The Java configuration required to use the integration between Bb IM and Bb Web Conferencing on the Mac is slightly convoluted:
- First, install the most current release of Java 8 from http://www.java.com.
- Next, install the legacy Java 6 runtime from Apple: https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572?locale=en_US
- You should now be able to use the integration instructions published on the following page.
- Office 2016 for Mac: ISSUES. Major crashing under v10.12.0 of Sierra as of Sept 25th 2016. Some users report that deleting and recreating the Main Profile in Outlook resolves crashing issue for them, but others are continuing to experience the crashing. We are tracking the issue on the Microsoft forums and waiting for Microsoft to release an update to correct the problems.
Panopto Recorder (Faculty Only):
SPSS 24 is compatible with Sierra after installing FixPack 1 for SPSS 24. See the following page for additional information.
- Some users have reported problems with wireless access under 10.12.0. It's likely that issues such as this will be resolved in future updates (10.12.1, 10.12.2, 10.12.3, etc). One user recommended the following fix.