- GSS Syllabi CMS login
- GSS Syllabi CMS Tutorials (screenshots)
- GSS Syllabi CMS FAQ
- Textbook Selection Process (DRC)
- iSchool Core Competencies
Syllabi are designed to tell the students about the course. In fact, they are the official "contract" between you and the student and are required of every faculty member in the university.
They should clearly state the goals you have for the students' learning and the criteria upon which the students' grades will be based. In addition it is important that you state on the syllabus how your class relates to the School's goals and objectives. The Faculty Senate approved a resolution requiring that faculty members provide a syllabus to each student in every class at the first meeting of the class. See the SJSU syllabus policy: www.sjsu.edu/senate/docs/F06-2.pdf (opens in new window). At the iSchool, our goal is to have all syllabi posted two weeks prior to the start of the semester.
We use the GSS Syllabi CMS application to create syllabi.
Read Before You Get Started
- GSS Syllabi CMS has built-in generic templates for new instructors to use as a starting point.
- Faculty who have taught courses in previous semesters may use prior versions of syllabi as a template for future syllabi. If your prior semester syllabi are missing, please contact Derek Christiansen.
- Read and notice that there are many required elements in a syllabus [Office of Graduate & Undergraduate Programs (GUP)].
When an instructor creates a syllabus it includes a great deal of system-defined information which cannot be altered.
- Core Competencies supported for all courses and topics.
- Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs) for all courses and topics.
- Course prerequisites (if any).
- Core Competencies and CLOs for each course can be viewed here: ischoolapps.sjsu.edu/courses/
- Use the syllabus to notify students of the LMS (Canvas for most instructors). Each instructor is responsible for creating a Canvas site. The direct link for Canvas login and Tutorials (both require passwords) is Canvas
View course specific templates preloaded into GSS Syllabi CMS here:
NOTE: CLOs and Core Competencies are linked to TOC page anchors for each template.
- If others have taught the same course recently, review syllabi for current courses as examples.
Follow the instructions in the GSS Syllabi CMS Tutorials
You MUST use the templates provided by the GSS Syllabi CMS application and MUST use the online editor to make modifications.
Separate pages for calendar, reading lists
If you have additional web pages (separate calendar, etc.), those must be submitted to Gina Lee.