Advanced Certificate Admissions Process for Information Professionals
Thank you for your interest in applying to the fully online Advanced Certificate in Strategic Management of Digital Assets and Services program at the San José State University School of Information. Please note this web page outlines admissions requirements, application deadlines and process, program fees, and enrollment information specific to non-iSchool students who are interested in applying for the advanced certificate program. Information about the advanced certificate program for current iSchool students can be found on this web page.
- A bachelor's degree from any regionally accredited institution in any discipline with a GPA of at least 3.0 at the bachelor's degree institution or in the last 60 semester or 90 quarter units
In addition to the admissions requirements listed above, international applicants (or applicants who earned their degrees in a country where the primary language is not English), must meet the following requirements:
- TOEFL score of 600 (paper version) or 250 (computer version) or 100 (Internet-based) , OR
- IELTS score of 8.
Important Note for International Applicants: If you are taking the degree online from your own country – or any country outside the United States – there is no need to obtain a visa. You apply as a special session student and complete the certificate online from outside the United States.
Students can begin the advanced certificate program in the fall or spring semester.
Application Period for Spring 2018:
- Opens: August 1, 2017
- Closes: December 1, 2017
- Document Deadline: December 20, 2017
Application Period for Fall 2018:
- Opens: October 1, 2017
- Closes: May 1, 2018
- Document Deadline: May 20, 2018
IMPORTANT: The notice of admission from the School of Information will only come via email. Make sure you set your spam filter to accept all correspondences from the .sjsu.edu domain.
Please be sure to complete all 4 steps.
1. Before starting the application process, take the time to choose your career pathway. Be sure to read about each pathway you are interested in and the class choices for each pathway. You will not be able to take classes from multiple pathways. It is important to choose now, before you apply. If you have questions about the pathways, please contact Dr. Linda Main.
2. Complete the university's online graduate application. Note students applying for the advanced certificate should select "none" under the degree objective portion of the application. Note: Non-US citizens do not use the "International Admissions Application;" they use the domestic application for certificate programs. Before completing the online Cal State Apply Application, read the following– and then apply on www2.calstate.edu/apply. For assistance with the CSU Certificate application, an online tutorial is available. On the Cal State Apply screen “Enrollment Information,” for the Degree/Credential Objective choice, please choose: “Information School, (Certificate, Strategic Management)”
- Fill out the application to show only your bachelor’s degree institution and your master’s degree institution.
- Non-US citizens: On Cal State Apply's "Personal Information" application page where it asks for "US state/territory", use the dropdown menu to click "Foreign country"; where it asks for "Citizenship status", use the dropdown menu to click "Other visa"; where it asks for "visa status", put in "U"; and where it asks for the "date issued", type in "01/01/2000".
- A GRE, work experience, academic references, academic honors, and a statement of purpose are not necessary. In the boxes provided on the form, leave these boxes blank. For the "Statement of Purpose" box, only type in the words "not applicable".
- When you click the "Submit" button, the application is electronically submitted to the SJSU Office of Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluation (GAPE). Be sure to print out the "Confirmation" web page for future reference.
3. Pay the CSU Graduate Application fee of $55. Payment of the CSU Application Fee of $55 will be accepted by credit card or PayPal only. The payment must be made in order to submit your Cal State Apply university application.
4. Send official transcripts for your degree(s) and for all work from previous and current colleges or universities. Send transcripts to:
Graduate Admissions & Program Evaluation
San José State University
One Washington Square
San José, CA 95192-0017 (Use of any other zip code will cause misdirection and/or loss of transcripts)
Transcripts may be sent electronically. If your school of record has partnered with any of the following vendors, the institution should send the transcripts to SJSU via these vendors and not to us directly. Transcripts in PDF format sent via email from the institution will not be accepted. If the vendor needs an email address, use: email@example.com
Credentials, Inc. or E-scripsafe
National Student Clearinghouse
If you attended SJSU: DO NOT send your SJSU transcript. If you completed SJSU's MLIS program, you do not need to send your Bachelor's transcripts.
CSU Faculty/Staff fee waivers are not able to be used toward the Advanced Certificate in Strategic Management of Digital Assets and Services.
Fees are $474 a unit. The total cost for the nine-unit advanced certificate is $4,266. Fees are subject to review and change. The advanced certificate program does not qualify for financial aid.
Fall 2017 courses begin on August 23, 2017. Priority course request period has not been determined for Fall 2017 semester. Please check back here.
Fees will be due within 21 days of enrollment. Pay your fees after you are enrolled in each class.
Our school's online student advisor, Sheila Gurtu, will manage the process to enroll you in the courses you choose each semester. Students already enrolled in the program can take courses during the fall, spring and summer sessions. Continuing students -- to be a part of the priority registration period for summer 2017, Sheila will need to have your course requests by March 29th at 5pm.
Please note that we will try to get you into the class of your choice but cannot guarantee a particular instructor. We do not guarantee a particular instructor for any of our programs.
For any admissions questions, please contact Sheila Gurtu.