All courses in the i.School Open Classes program are delivered exclusively online with most coursework completed asynchronously.
iSchool Open Classes
The i.School Open Classes program at San José State University (SJSU) School of Information offers continuing education and professional development opportunities for future and current information professionals. The exclusively online Open Classes program is open to everyone with a bachelor's degree or higher. Individuals can enroll in graduate-level courses on a space-available basis and earn college credit.
Most of the 60+ electives offered in the SJSU School of Information's ALA-accredited Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) program and Master of Archives and Records Administration (MARA) program are available through the Open Classes program.
Courses cover a wide range of topics, including metadata, cybersecurity, electronic records, cataloging, web usability, big data analytics, information visualization, collection management, digital asset management, and library services for children and teens. In addition, we offer courses that will help you improve your leadership skills.
Courses are offered during fall, spring, and summer sessions (subject to space availability). Note that the courses offered each session vary, providing you with new opportunities to explore.
All courses in the i.School Open Classes program are delivered exclusively online. Reap the benefits of our school's online delivery model:
- Fit coursework around your schedule. Most course content is delivered asynchronously, allowing you to complete assignments and interact with your instructor and classmates at your convenience.
- Participate in a collaborative learning community, where you will exchange ideas and perspectives with students and faculty in the SJSU information school’s exclusively online MLIS, MARA, and Post-Master’s Certificate programs.
- Live anywhere while taking a graduate-level course at San José State University.
- Complete a self-paced, online tutorial to prepare for success in our school's interactive online learning environment.
Are You Interested in Expanding Your Professional Opportunities?
In the rapidly evolving information profession, it can be challenging to stay up to date with the knowledge you need for today’s jobs and tomorrow’s career opportunities. Whether or not you hold a master’s degree, you can update your knowledge and skills by enrolling in one or more of our Open Classes.
Are You A Prospective Master’s Program Student?
With the i.School Open Classes program, prospective students who want to earn a master’s degree can try out the SJSU information school’s courses before applying for admission to a graduate program. If you choose to apply for admission to our MLIS or MARA degree programs, after admission, you can transfer up to 9 units from the Open Classes program toward your master’s degree.
Are You A Newly Admitted MLIS or MARA Student?
Students who are already admitted to one of the SJSU information school’s graduate programs can get a head start on their coursework. You can take an elective before officially starting your master’s program, and then choose to use the Open Classes elective toward your degree.
Are You an Alumnus / Alumna?
Some recent graduates of our master’s programs said they wished they could have taken additional classes before earning their degrees. Now they can! The Open Classes program is a great way for our alumni and other post-master’s professionals to update their skills and knowledge.
For more information about the Open Classes program, we invite you to explore upcoming courses, learn more about fees and how to enroll in courses, and visit our Open Classes FAQ page. You can also explore the left sidebar menu links.
You may also be interested in visiting the following web pages:
- Learn more about our school’s interactive online learning environment.
- Read about some of our newest courses.
- Read bios of our award-winning faculty and browse news about our faculty.
- Stay connected with us via our social media channels.
- Sign up to receive email announcements about our Open Classes program.