Potential PhD applicants will consult with SJSU supervisors about research topics (please allow a minimum of six weeks for this consultation to take place). Potential applicants must get endorsed by a SJSU faculty member by early January, 2018, and approved by the San José Gateway PhD program coordinator before applying to QUT. These applicants will be contacted and invited to continue with Step 2 of the application process. Potential PhD students need to complete the Application for Admission to QUT as an International Student in a Research Program
- The form should be emailed to:
Higher Degree Research Team
Tel: 07 3138 4783
Fax: 07 3138 2703
Indicate "San Jose Application" in the subject line, and copy the email to the Associate Coordinator.
Original copies of transcripts should be mailed to:
Level 6, F Block, Victoria Park Road
Kelvin Grove QLD 4059
When completing the form the candidate should note the following points:
List the proposed month of entry as 'August'.
The course code is IF49.
The faculty is Science and Engineering; the school is Information Systems.
Under Mode of Study tick the following boxes: 'I am applying to study part time externally'; 'I understand that if I am approved to study externally I will need to seek approval for ……..'; and 'I understand that if I am coming to Australian for more than three months, I will need to apply for a change…..'.
The QUT supervisor should be listed in Section 4.
DO NOT complete Section 5 Current Visa Status and passport information as this section only applies to international students who will be residing in Australia for the duration of their PhD studies.
DO NOT complete the second part of Section 7 Scholarship Applications as SJSU PhD candidates are not eligible for these scholarships.
Skip Section 8 English Proficiency if your previous studies were in English.
Please submit certified copies of academic transcripts as original copies will not be returned.
The form should be accompanied by a Proposed Research Program statement of 500 words (see Section 3 Proposed Research Program). The statement should include the name of the SJSU supervisor.
All applications must be submitted via email by March 10, 2018.
The submitted forms will be sent to QUT International Student Business Services for processing. In addition a copy will be sent to Dr. Christine Bruce in the Science and Engineering Faculty for reviewing and nomination of a suitable QUT Principal supervisor.
Once Principal Supervisors have been nominated for each candidate, the forms are sent to the Director Research Studies, Science and Engineering Faculty, for signing and approval.
QUT's International Student Business services are contacted and provided advice on whether the applications meet the Faculty entry requirements into the PhD program.
The potential PhD candidate will receive an email advising them that they have been approved by the Faculty for entry into the PhD program and that an official letter from the university will be sent to them shortly. The email will also include a copy of the Enrollment Form. Potential PhD Candidates should complete and return this form as soon as they can via email.
QUT International Student Business Services will send a letter of offer to the candidate. This will take place approximately 8 weeks after the candidate has submitted his/her application. This letter will include the candidate's QUT username and password which will grant access to the QUT systems (i.e. QUT Virtual, library databases). To accept the offer, the candidate completes the paperwork provided in the letter, returning it to QUT International Student Business Services (contact details will be provided in the letter). The candidate must state that their date of commencement will be August 1st.
Accepting the offer:
- Once the Faculty has received the Enrollment Form for each candidate the form is sent to QUT Research Students Centre where students' enrollment is entered into QUT Virtual**.
- Students receive an email advising them that their enrollment has now been processed and finalized. When students receive the offer of acceptance, they are also advised about fees. There is an initial Acceptance Payment which can be paid on line through QUT Pay (see more: http://www.qut.edu.au/international/applying/step-8-accept-your-offer#h2-2). Students receive the invoice in their student email accounts for the balance within the following weeks.
- Information on how to get QUT Access and email is included in the letter of offer. If further help is needed, QUT IT Helpdesk can be contacted.
- Students can commence using their QUT username and password once they have submitted their letter of acceptance and paid their fees (please note this access usually takes at least 24–48 hours to come into effect).
- Please note the sooner the Faculty receives the completed Enrollment Form the sooner the candidate's enrollment is finalized and access to the QUT systems can be granted.
- Students who have accepted their offer of a place in the PhD program will receive a welcome email from Dr. Christine Bruce. This email will remind the students to complete and submit their Enrollment Form and will provide information on the orientation week taking place in August and other important information the candidate may need to commence the PhD program.
See also QUT application help center: www.qut.edu.au/study/applying/phd-and-research-degree-applications
**QUT Virtual is a "portal" to all the information each student will need to successfully study at QUT. It provides access to your enrollment information, fees and all personal information.