Applying for the TL Credential
The Teacher Librarian Services credential is a second credential; to be granted this credential a candidate must hold a valid single or multiple subject clear credential issued by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). Candidates may choose to complete the MLIS and the Teacher Librarianship coursework prior to earning their first credential, but the application process for the Teacher Librarian Services credential cannot be initiated until the first credential is issued by the CCTC.
STEPS TO FOLLOW
- Hold a valid single subject or multiple subject credential from the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC).
- Coursework: complete all coursework for the Teacher Librarian Services Credential.
- GPA: You must have a 3.0 GPA in your Credential Coursework.
iSchool TL Contract: After your final required course, the Field Experience (LIBR 295), is successfully completed, Mary Ann Harlan needs to review, approve, and sign your TL contract (see TL Contracts at bottom of this page, or the Credentials Module in the Canvas site).
- Email the filled-out contract (both pages) and your unofficial SJSU iSchool transcript and (if needed) any other transcripts showing courses you may have taken at other institutions that you are using to transfer in or as substitutions to Mary Ann Harlan.
- Mary Ann Harlan will review the contract and transcripts, sign the contract, scan it and return it to you by email. You will then submit the complete, 2-page, signed contract to the School of Education Credentials Office with your other required documents.
Go to the School of Education Credentials Office website.
- Click on the "Lurie College" link.
- Click on "Departments and Offices" from the dropdown list
- Click on "Credentials Office" in the left-hand side list of offices
Click on "Applying for Your Credential". You will see:
Applicants must complete all 3 steps:
Step 1: Complete the Information Coversheet [PDF]
Step 2: Pay Application Processing Fee
Step 3: Complete the Appropriate Checklists and Forms
(Print appropriate checklist and submit all required forms)
- To find appropriate checklist for the Teacher Librarian Services Credential, scroll down to the: Other Credentials
- Click on Teacher Librarian Services Clear (or it may say: Library Media Teacher Clear checklist)
- You will then see a checksheet
Per the checksheet, you are responsible for gathering all your required documents and mailing them to the School of Education Credentials Office as one complete package. That is how the Credentials Office prefers to receive your materials.
This means that once Mary Ann Harlan approves and signs and returns your completed TL contract to you, you do not send it to the iSchool office, but instead include the signed contract in the package of materials you send to the School of Education Credentials Office.
That complete package needs to contain the following (as explained in the School of Education Credentials Office checksheet):
- The completed School of Education Credentials Office Information Sheet
- $25.00 Processing Fee (see School of Education Credentials Office website for directions on paying)
- Approved (signed) program contract
- Official Transcripts
- Copy of CBEST - Required if you hold a LIFE Credential (see School of Education Credentials Office website for more information)
Copy of VALID California CREDENTIAL (see School of Education Credentials Office website for more information)
- You May print out and submit the electronic copy provided via the CTC website.
Please submit COMPLETE application packet and fees in person or mail to:
San Jose State University
One Washington Sq. SH 108, San Jose Ca. 95192-0015
- After your documents have been reviewed and determined to be complete, the School of Education Credentials Office forwards your documents package to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). The CCTC then emails you, letting you know you have been recommended to apply online to the CCTC for the credential. If you do not hear from the CTC in a timely fashion (7-10 working days) please contact them at 1.888.921.2682 or by email.
iSchool Teacher Librarian CONTRACT FORMS
PLEASE NOTE: We are now using a contract form that reflects both the required courses from 2008, and 2013.
Questions? Contact Mary Ann Harlan.