Even though everything is remote, the faculty and staff made me feel like I was part of a small community. – MLIS graduate
Discover Online Learning
The San José State University (SJSU) School of Information is a recognized leader in online education and received the Online Learning Consortium's 2014 Outstanding Online Program award and 2013 Effective Practice award. The SJSU iSchool offers several educational programs, including two master's degree programs, and all programs are delivered conveniently online.
SJSU iSchool students benefit from the opportunity to live anywhere while enrolling in courses, without needing to leave jobs and relocate families to pursue their educational goals. From the comfort of their homes, students can participate in online courses and earn a master's degree without ever stepping foot on the San Jose San José State University campus.
In addition, SJSU iSchool students benefit from a sophisticated online learning environment,where we incorporate the latest technology to enrich the learning experience. They interact with peers and instructors through web conferencing, social networking platforms, a web-based learning management system, and instant messaging.
Most course content is delivered asynchronously – giving our students the freedom to access the course at any time they choose, from any location. Some courses also include occasional live synchronous sessions.
Every course offered by the SJSU School of Information is taught online. This means that our instructors are experts at online teaching, and we provide them with the tools and support they need to be effective online educators. Many of our faculty conduct research regarding online learning and share their knowledge regarding developments in online education via presentations and publications.
We know that online learning isn’t the right choice for everyone, so we invite you to explore what online learning is like at the SJSU School of Information, so you can decide if it’s right for you.
- Read an article by one of our students, who shares her perspective about our school’s online learning environment.
- Read an article by one of our professors, who describes how he creates an interactive, engaging learning environment for his students.
- Attend a live open house, where you can experience the interactivity of our web conferencing platform and ask questions about our online environment. You can also view a recording of an open house event.
- Find out how we prepare all new students for a successful online learning experience through our required one-unit course, LIBR 203. View a recent LIBR 203 course syllabus.
- Check out the 5 benefits of our school's fully online delivery model, things you may not find in programs that offer a blend of on-campus and online learning.
- Find out about our school's 2013 Sloan-C Effective Practice Award, which honors innovation in online education.
- Hear what current students say about our school's online learning environment on our New Student Blog.
- Browse stories about our students who have participated in virtual internships, gaining hands-on experience and interacting with host institutions that may be located anywhere on the continent.
- Read about our students who participate in research projects, all without leaving their homes.
- Discover the range of research conducted by our faculty members about online learning, along with the presentations they’ve made regarding online education.
- Learn about the type of technology students need in order to participate in our school’s interactive online learning environment.