Explore Career Pathways
The knowledge and skills learned in the educational programs at the San José State University (SJSU) School of Information (iSchool) are applicable and transferable to numerous career pathways, including librarianship, emerging technologies, information architecture, archival studies, records management, competitive intelligence, and more!
The career landscape is vast and exciting. Individuals with a Master's degree in Library and Information Science work in various organizational environments, including academic, public, and special libraries and information centers, as well as many different non-library environments. Jobs suitable to the educational background of graduates who hold a Master’s degree in Archives and Records Administration are primarily in the academic, government, and corporate sectors, as revealed in the Archives and Records Management Jobs Analysis report.
In addition, technology skills are required in today's job market. As noted in the MLIS Skills at Work: A Snapshot of Job Postings report, job listings for a variety of roles call for staff who are comfortable and experienced with information technology beyond Microsoft Office Suite. Job candidates are highly encouraged to expose themselves to as many different web tools, applications, and databases as possible.
We realize that the vast choice in career opportunities can overwhelm new students. Many of the career pathways you can pursue at the SJSU School of Information may pique your interest and sound like something you'd like to do as your profession. Our career development resources offer tools, advice, and insight to help you identify the career direction best suited for you personally.
- Watch short videos featuring our MLIS alumni in the workplace.
- Visit our blog for curriculum updates and job tips.
- Explore the numerous career pathways offered in the MLIS degree program at the SJSU iSchool.
- Browse the latest news about our curriculum.
- Check out our alumni career spotlights and see what they are doing now. Many alumni are open to doing informational interviews.
- Read stories about current SJSU iSchool students' personal career objectives.