Evaluation and Assessment #11
11. Course evaluations collect student feedback on quality of online course materials.
Deficient Developing Accomplished Exemplary
Student Opinion of Teaching Effectiveness (SOTE)
The California State University uses a uniform student evaluation form – Student Opinion of Teaching Effectiveness (SOTE). The evaluation is administered online centrally by the University.
All classes are evaluated each time taught. The results are provided to the faculty members and to the Director. An overall standard of a 4.0 (on a 5.0 scale) is expected. If a faculty member fails to reach this after 3 attempts they are not retained. The Director’s review is also reviewed by the Associate Dean of the College.
Following are the SOTE rating questions:
- Demonstrated relevance of the course content
- Used assignments that enhanced learning
- Summarized/emphasized important points
- Established an atmosphere that facilitated learning
- Was approachable for assistance
- Was responsive to the diversity of the students in this class
- Showed strong interest in teaching this class
- Used intellectually challenging teaching methods
- Used fair grading methods
- Helped students analyze complex/abstract ideas
- Provided meaningful feedback about student work