Facebook is a free social networking site where users can add friends, send private or public messages, and update their personal profiles to notify friends about themselves. Users can also join networks organized by cities, interest groups, workplaces, schools, colleges, and many more. It is a place to connect with people, share information, and ask questions.
To access the site go to www.facebook.com and create your account. Here are some helpful tips:
- Company and business pages are great information sources for company news, updates, discussions, and connections.
- Be sure to set your privacy settings so that only friends can see your profile, or at whatever level you feel comfortable sharing personal information. If you plan to use Facebook as a professional platform, you’ll want to have privacy settings that make your page visible to hiring managers, keeping in mind that the information they see should reflect well on your personal and professional judgment.
- Start "liking" companies, organizations, and groups of interest. Their status updates will pop up in your homepage newsfeed, so you can easily track what's going on.
- React to relevant status updates or post comments with constructive feedback and opinions. Participate in discussions so that your name starts to become familiar to people.
- Always interact in a professional manner. And although you want to avoid being blunt about asking for jobs, it is certainly appropriate to ask for information about an organization.