MARA students can tailor their studies to meet their interests and career goals, selecting three electives from our school's Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) program.
Required Courses Prior to Spring 2015
Before commencing the program all incoming students are required to take an online workshop in online social networking. Details will be sent to new students in July. Students must register for the remaining courses in their program through MySJSU.
- MARA 200 – The Record and the Recordkeeping Professions
- MARA 204 – Management of Records and Archival Institutions
- MARA 210 – Records Creation, Appraisal and Retention
- MARA 211 – Records Access, Storage and Retrieval
- MARA 249 – Electronic Recordkeeping Systems and Issues in Electronic Recordkeeping
- MARA 284 – Seminar in Archives and Records Management*
- MARA 285 – Research Methods in Records Management and Archival Science
- MARA 289 – Advanced Topics in Archives and Records Administration (ePortfolio)
- MARA 293 – Professional Projects
- MARA 294 – Professional Experience: Internships
- MARA 295 – Organizational Consulting Project**
*MARA 284 will be taken twice, with different content.
**MARA students will take MARA 293 and MARA 294, unless they petition the MARA coordinator and receive permission to substitute MARA 295 (to be taken fall and spring) instead.
In order to allow MARA students the opportunity to customize their program based on their own interests, students will select 3 electives from a pre-approved list of approximately 30 courses from the MLIS program. The courses will be selected in consultation with a MARA advisor and can be taken any time after the first semester in the program.
- LIBR 240 – Information Technology, Tools and Applications
- LIBR 256 – Archives and Manuscripts
- LIBR 259 – Preservation Management
- LIBR 284 – Seminar in Archives and Records Management– with offerings in electronic records, encoded archival description, oral history, digitization and digital preservation, special collections in a Web 2.0 world, characteristics and curation of new digital media, photographic archives and more from which to choose.
- LIBR 287 - Seminar in Information Science - with offerings in virtual worlds including Virtual Worlds: Traveling through Time and Space and Virtual Environments: Immersive Learning for Libraries and Archives
Apply for pre-approval of your MLIS elective selections and see other approved MLIS electives for MARA students on the MLIS Electives Application form.