How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in applying to the exclusively online Master of Science in Informatics program at the SJSU School of Information! Since this is a new program, the online application is still being set up in CalState Apply. Therefore, applicants will follow the MARA application procedures for fall 2019 admission as outlined below. Your application will be redirected to the MS in Informatics program.
IMPORTANT: Please pay special attention to the application area for "Statement of Purpose" where you'll enter, "Please redirect my application to the MS Informatics program." In addition, please send an email to Dr. Linda Main, associate director, to inform her that you submitted your application for the MS In Informatics program. If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
Application Period for Fall 2019
- Opens: Oct. 1, 2018
- Closes: June 1, 2019
- Document Deadline: June 20, 2019
Please be sure to complete all 3 steps.
Complete the university's online graduate application. Note: Non-US citizens do not use the "International Admissions Application;" they use the Special Session "Graduate Admissions Application." Before completing the online CSU Graduate Application, read the following – and then apply at https://www2.calstate.edu/apply.
- For assistance with the CSU Graduate Application, an online tutorial is available.
- Apply to "San José State University Graduate."
- The Major/Program objective is "Information School, Archives & Records (MARA, Special Session)."
- The degree objective is "Other Masters."
- A GRE, work experience, academic references, academic honors, and a statement of purpose are not necessary. In the boxes provided on the form, leave these boxes blank. For the "Statement of Purpose" box, enter "Please redirect my application to the MS in Informatics program."
- When you click the “Submit” button, the application is electronically submitted to the SJSU Office of Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluation (GAPE). Be sure to print out the “Confirmation” web page for future reference.
- Application URL for fall 2019 applicants: https://calstate.liaisoncas.com/applicant-ux/#/login
- Send an email to Dr. Linda Main, associate director, to inform her that you submitted your application for the MS In Informatics program.
Pay the CSU application fee of $55. Payment of the CSU application fee of $55 will be accepted by credit card or PayPal only. The payment must be made in order to submit your Cal State Apply university application.
Do not send transcripts before you submit your application. If your degree is from the United States or Canada, send official transcripts for your degree(s) and for all work from previous and current colleges or universities. Send official sealed transcripts to:
Graduate Admissions & Evaluations
San José State University
One Washington Square
San José, CA 95192-0017
(Use of any other zip code will cause misdirection and/or loss of transcripts)
If you attended SJSU, you do not send your SJSU transcript. For everyone else, transcripts may be sent electronically. If your school of record has partnered with any of the following vendors, the institution should send the transcripts to SJSU via these vendors and not to us directly. Transcripts in PDF format sent via email from the institution will not be accepted. If the vendor needs an email address, use: firstname.lastname@example.org
Credentials, Inc. or E-scripsafe
National Student Clearinghouse
SJSU alumni who apply to an iSchool graduate or certificate program: If you earned your master’s degree at SJSU and your SJSU graduate degree is older than one year, you will be required to send another set of undergraduate transcripts to the Graduate Admissions office by the provisional deadline for applicant documents. Contact the Graduate Admissions office at email@example.com for the provisional document deadline for the semester you are applying.
If you attended a university outside the United States or Canada, you must submit your transcripts to WES. The Graduate Admissions office requires that all international applicants (except Canada) provide a WES evaluation of their transcripts, according to the SJSU GAPE office specifications. Do not send your transcripts to the address above.
Please read the financial aid information page and then visit SJSU's Seven Steps to Financial Aid to learn about the FAFSA application process and timelines. In order for financial aid to be available in your first semester, you must complete your financial aid application 3-4 months before the semester begins.