scorecard evaluation and assessment 2
2. A variety of data (academic and administrative information) are used to regularly and frequently evaluate program effectiveness and to guide changes toward continual improvement.
Deficient Developing Accomplished Exemplary
Field Based Program Advisory Committees
iSchool faculty meet twice a year via Web conferencing with field based Program Advisory Committees. The purpose is to gain input for and review of the curriculum and their suggestions are fed back into the curriculum.
International Advisory Council
The school is advised by an international advisory council that meets once a year in person in San Jose; and a second time each year online via Zoom. Council members hold professional and academic leadership positions and provide feedback to the iSchool Director.
Exit Surveys for Graduating Students
Each fall and spring an exit survey is conducted for graduating students. The survey is analyzed and discussed by the faculty at a faculty retreat and changes made to the curriculum and support services if necessary.
Student Opinion of Teaching Effectiveness (SOTE)
The California State University uses a uniform student evaluation form – Student Opinion of Teaching Effectiveness (SOTE). All classes are evaluated each time taught. The results are provided to the faculty members and to the Director. An overall standard of a 4.0 (on a 5.0 scale) is expected. If a faculty member fails to reach this after 3 attempts they are not retained. The Director’s review is also reviewed by the Associate Dean of the College. The evaluation is administered online centrally by the University.
Following are the SOTE rating questions:
- Demonstrated relevance of the course content
- Used assignments that enhanced learning
- Summarized/emphasized important points
- Was responsive to questions and comments from students
- Established an atmosphere that facilitated learning
- Was approachable for assistance
- Was respectful of the diversity of the students in the class
- Showed strong interest in teaching the class
- Used teaching methods that helped students learn important concepts
- Used grading criteria that were clear
- Helped students analyze complex/abstract ideas
- Provided meaningful feedback about student work
Retention, Tenure, Promotion
Full time faculty are reviewed via the University’s Retention, Tenure, Promotion (RTP) guidelines. Full time tenure track faculty are evaluated over a 6 year period.
Alumni and employer surveys
We survey alumni annually. Results are available in our Program Performance data.
Employer surveys are conducted to gather information about how our graduates are performing in their jobs. Results are posted in our program performance data (linked above).