scorecard evaluation and assessment 8
8. Course evaluations collect feedback on the effectiveness of instruction in relation to faculty performance evaluations.
Deficient Developing Accomplished Exemplary
Student Opinion of Teaching Effectiveness (SOTE)
The California State University uses a uniform student evaluation form – Student Opinion of Teaching Effectiveness (SOTE). All classes are evaluated each time taught. The results are provided to the faculty members and to the Director. An overall standard of a 4.0 (on a 5.0 scale) is expected. If a faculty member fails to reach this after 3 attempts they are not retained. The Director’s review is also reviewed by the Associate Dean of the College.
Following are the SOTE rating questions:
- Demonstrated relevance of the course content
- Used assignments that enhanced learning
- Summarized/emphasized important points
- Was responsive to questions and comments from students
- Established an atmosphere that facilitated learning
- Was approachable for assistance
- Was respectful of the diversity of the students in the class
- Showed strong interest in teaching the class
- Used teaching methods that helped students learn important concepts
- Used grading criteria that were clear
- Helped students analyze complex/abstract ideas
- Provided meaningful feedback about student work
Retention, Tenure, Promotion
Full time faculty are reviewed via the University’s Retention, Tenure, Promotion (RTP) guidelines.
Full time tenure track faculty are evaluated over a 6 year period.