scorecard evaluation and assessment 8
8. Course evaluations collect feedback on the effectiveness of instruction in relation to faculty performance evaluations.
Deficient Developing Accomplished Exemplary
Student Opinion of Teaching Effectiveness (SOTE)
The California State University uses a uniform student evaluation form – Student Opinion of Teaching Effectiveness (SOTE). All classes are evaluated each time taught. The results are provided only to the individual faculty member and to the Director. An overall standard of a 4.0 (on a 5.0 scale) is expected. If a part time faculty member fails to reach this after 3 attempts they are not retained. SOTES perform part of the RTP review for tenure track faculty. The Director’s review is also reviewed by the Associate Dean of the College.
Following are the SOTE rating questions:
- Demonstrated relevance of the course content
- Used assignments that enhanced learning
- Summarized/emphasized important points
- Was responsive to questions and comments from students
- Established an atmosphere that facilitated learning
- Was approachable for assistance
- Was respectful of the diversity of the students in the class
- Showed strong interest in teaching the class
- Used teaching methods that helped students learn important concepts
- Used grading criteria that were clear
- Helped students analyze complex/abstract ideas
- Provided meaningful feedback about student work
Retention, Tenure, Promotion
Full time faculty are reviewed via the University’s Retention, Tenure, Promotion (RTP) guidelines.
Full time tenure track faculty are evaluated over a 6 year period.