9th Annual VCARA Conference - April 18, 2018
Join VCARA for our 9th Annual VCARA Conference on Wednesday, April 18, 2018 from 6pm-8:30pm SLT (Second Life Time/Pacific). This year’s theme is Passion for Truth: Trusting Information in the Fake News Era. To celebrate our passion for seeking and sharing the elusive trickster that is truth (and exposing the cunning guises of those who spread false “truths”), harlequin-inspired masks and costumes are encouraged.
How to Attend the Conference
The conference will begin at the Ampitheatre on iSchool Island in Second Life.
- SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/SJSU%20SLIS/9/51/44
- For instructions to join and participate in Second Life, visit our VCARA for Newbies post.
For the first time, VCARA will offer a Zoom simulcast of the VCARA Conference!
- Join the Zoom session from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://sjsu.zoom.us/j/416626412
- Or by iPhone one-tap: US: +16468769923, 416626412# or +16699006833, 416626412#
- Or by Telephone: Dial (for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 646 876 9923 or +1 669 900 6833 or +1 408 638 0968 (Meeting ID: 416 626 412)
- International numbers available: https://sjsu.zoom.us/zoomconference?m=qwEiPUgdTnrfy_KVzm_c4c9WBxAGRxXl
- Join VCARA’s social networks to receive and post live conference updates on social media using #VCARA.
9th Annual VCARA Conference Schedule - April 18, 2018 6pm-8:30pm (Pacific)
5:50pm: Special introduction by Master of Ceremony Dr. Pat Franks - What is the San Jose State University, School of Information (iSchool)’s Virtual Center for Archives and Records Administration (VCARA)?
5:55pm: Special Announcements by iSchool student and VCARA member Alyse Dunavant-Jones
6:00-6:30pm: Kae Novak (Kavon Zenovka in SL) - Misinformation, Disinformation and Maskirovka: Information and Technology Literacy in the Age of Fake News
- Bio: Kae Novak is an Instructional Designer for a Colorado community college where she serves as an Information and Technology Literacy Outcome Mentor. She also collaborates with ISTE Games and Simulations Network educators to offer a Just-In-Time series, called “Rapid Responses” whenever they find it necessary to discuss or fact check current events. In her spare time, she leads and facilitates the Metagame Book Club which combines the reading of fiction, game play and education research.
6:30-7:00pm: Renne Emiko Brock (Zinnia Zauber in SL) - Creating Authentic Integrity in Accord
- Bio: Renne Emiko Brock is an Artist - Instructor - Superhero. As an artist she creates one of a kind handcrafted art, apparel, textiles, computer assemblages, sculptures, videos, and publications that embrace the empowerment of brilliant hues, individualism, and acceptance. She is also a faculty member at Peninsula college and an arts advocate who has established, produced, and supported creative networks, events, and nonprofits by facilitating collaborative connections among artists, educational institutions, organizations, and the community.
Mini-Presentations - Beginning at 7pm
These 10-minute sessions will include presentations by:
7:00 - 7:10pm: Dr. Cynthia Calongne (Lyr Lobo in SL) - Exploring Perceptions and Boundaries
7:10 - 7:20pm: Dr. Valerie Hill (valibrarian Gregg in SL) - Authentic Information in a Virtual World Library
7:20 - 7:30pm: Dieter E. Heyne (Edward Tarberin SL) - Web Based Virtual Worlds for Education, Exhibitions and Libraries
7:30- 7:40pm: Cheri Daniels (Sifriya Devin in SL) - Fostering Genealogy Literacy through Virtual Engagement
7:40 - 7:50pm: Dr. Pat Franks (Preceptor Amat in SL) - Blockchain Technologies for Recordkeeping: Providing a Single Version of the Truth
7:50 - 8pm: Dr. Lisa Daulby (daulby in SL) - on the topic of General Data Protection Regulations in the European Union
8:00 - 8:20pm: (Archivist Llewellyn in SL) - Astronauts and DNA: Twin Studies are Just the Beginning
Llewellyn’s AI robot, Plutchik, will give this presentation, which has been extended for a Q&A session with Plutchik after the presentation!
Special Exhibit Tours - Immediately Following the Mini-Presentations
Introducing VCARA’s Banned Books Exhibit
- Description: iSchool student Danica Ronquillo will give a brief introduction to VCARA’s Banned Books Exhibit and offer information about the banned book The Adventures of Alice in Wonderland in relation to Truth. Participants are invited to explore the exhibit, and additional VCARA members will have the opportunity to share information about the banned books they created for the exhibit.
Harlequin Carnival Tour
- Description: Join VCARA as we explore, play, and collect freebies at this surreal harlequin-themed carnival created by Breiana Theodore, an iSchool alumna. The Harlequin Carnival is on the iSchool Island, and conference participants will walk from the Banned Books Exhibit to this immersive surreal art experience that will test your perceptions of real vs. imaginary.
For information about last year's VCARA Conference, check out our 8th Annual VCARA Conference Recap post. To request an orientation to Second Life and VCARA, please email Dr. Pat Franks (firstname.lastname@example.org). To follow VCARA on social media, check out our VCARA on Social Media page. To visit VCARA in Second Life, use the iSchool Island SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/SJSU%20SLIS/45/123/33
* Comments in Plain Text Only