MARA students can tailor their studies to meet their interests and career goals, selecting three electives from our school's Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) program.
Before commencing the program all incoming students are required to take an online workshop in online social networking. Details will be sent to new students approximately one month prior to the beginning of their first term. Students must register for the remaining courses in their program through MySJSU. Note: Must be completed within first 4 weeks of the semester. If it is not completed within the first 4 weeks of the semester an administrative hold will be placed and you will be unable to register for any more classes in iSchool. Although the workshop is required, no credit is earned for satisfactory completion.
- MARA 200 – The Record and the Recordkeeping Professions
- MARA 204 – Management of Records and Archival Institutions
- MARA 210 – Records Creation, Appraisal and Retention
- MARA 211 – Records Access, Storage and Retrieval
- MARA 249 – Electronic Recordkeeping Systems and Issues in Electronic Recordkeeping
- MARA 284 – Seminar in Archives and Records Management*
- MARA 285 – Research Methods in Records Management and Archival Science
- MARA 289 – Advanced Topics in Archives and Records Administration (ePortfolio)
- MARA 294 – Professional Experience: Internships
- MARA 295 – Organizational Consulting Project**
*MARA 284 will be taken three times, with different content.
**MARA students will take MARA 294, unless they petition the MARA coordinator and receive permission to substitute MARA 295 or an MLIS/MARA elective instead.
In order to allow MARA students the opportunity to customize their program based on their own interests, students will select 3 electives from a pre-approved list of approximately 30 courses from the MLIS program. The MLIS elective courses must be approved by the MARA advisor but can be taken any time in the program. As the MARA course offerings expand, MARA students may also take MARA courses as electives in place of one or more of the MLIS electives. The MARA electives, however, may have MARA pre-requisites that must be met prior to the semseter in which the court is taken.
MLIS electives recommendations include:
- LIBR 240 – Information Technology, Tools and Applications
- LIBR 256 – Archives and Manuscripts
- LIBR 259 – Preservation Management
- LIBR 284 – Seminar in Archives and Records Management– with offerings in electronic records, digital curation, encoded archival description, oral history, digitization and digital preservation, special collections in a Web 2.0 world, characteristics and curation of new digital media, photographic archives and more from which to choose.
- LIBR 287 - Seminar in Information Science - with offerings in virtual worlds including Virtual Worlds: Traveling through Time and Space and Virtual Environments: Immersive Learning for Libraries and Archives
For a complete list of pre-approved MLIS courses and to apply for pre-approval of your MLIS elective selections go to the MLIS Electives Application form.