The massive open online course (MOOC) program at the San José State University (SJSU) School of Information (iSchool) brings individuals from diverse backgrounds and geographic regions together in an interactive online learning environment to explore the latest trends in the information profession.
MOOC participants do not earn college credit. These open online courses are available to the public for free as professional development learning experiences. Please check back for upcoming MOOCs.
MOOC Program Highlights:
- Complete all coursework 100% online.
- Enroll for FREE!
- Explore emerging trends in the information professions.
- Engage in a collaborative learning environment.
- Use technology to interact with classmates and complete assignments.
- Earn a certificate of completion at the end of the course.
In the fall of 2014, the SJSU School of Information offered its second MOOC available to the public for free. The Emerging Future: Technology Issues and Trends MOOC explored the potential impact of technological innovations. Dr. Sue Alman, a lecturer at the SJSU School of Information, created the Emerging Future open online course based on her “Exploring Future Technologies” INFO 281 seminar offered to graduate students in the school’s 100% online Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) program. Global experts and resources were highlighted as part of the MOOC learning experience. Alman discussed the MOOC and provided a short list of resources regarding technology trends on the CIRI blog. The Emerging Future: Technology Issues and Trends MOOC course site remains open on the Canvas Network.
The school’s first MOOC was offered in 2013, and explored how libraries are using emerging technologies to serve their diverse communities. The Hyperlinked Library MOOC, developed by Dr. Michael Stephens, paralleled the "Hyperlinked Library: Emerging Trends, Emerging Tech" INFO 287 seminar also taught by Stephens in the SJSU iSchool’s MLIS program.
- Access the Emerging Future MOOC course site, including video recordings and supporting materials.
- Read highlights from the Emerging Future MOOC, including participants' learning experiences.
- Learn more about the Hyperlinked Library MOOC learning platform, and how it facilitated interaction between enrollees, instructors, and course assistants.
- Read how a SJSU iSchool graduate student helped develop the information school's first MOOC.
- Read about two SJSU iSchool graduate students who served as learning guides for MOOC participants: Lissette Gonzalez and Jolene Finn.
- Read a blog post by Dr. Michael Stephens regarding the MOOC and other new large-scale learning landscapes.
- Find out more about the research Dr. Michael Stephens is conducting regarding MOOCs and large-scale learning.
- Watch a recording of Dr. Michael Stephens’ Library 2.013 Worldwide Virtual Conference keynote presentation “Learning Everywhere: Transformative Power of Hyperlinked Libraries.”