Admissions Process and Enrollment Deadlines
Thank you for your interest in applying to the fully online Post-Master's Certificate in Library and Information Science program at the San José State University School of Information. Please follow the application process detailed below.
- A master's degree from any regionally accredited institution in any discipline with an overall GPA of 3.0.
Applicants from countries in which the native language is not English must achieve a minimum English-language proficiency test score as indicated on the Graduate Program Test Requirement webpage at GAPE.
Important Note for International Applicants: If you are taking the degree online from your own country – or any country outside the United States – there is no need to obtain a visa. You apply as a special session student and complete the certificate online from outside the United States.
Students can begin the Post-Master’s Certificate program in the fall or spring semester.
Application Period for Fall 2018
- Opens: October 1, 2017
- Closes: May 1, 2018
Document Deadline: May 20, 2018
Fall 2018 Applicants apply using this link: https://calstate.liaisoncas.com/applicant-ux/#/login
IMPORTANT: The notice of admission from the School of Information will only come via email. Make sure you set your spam filter to accept all correspondences from the .sjsu.edu domain.
Please be sure to complete all 4 steps.
1. Before starting the application process, take the time to choose your career pathway. Be sure to read about each pathway you are interested in and the class choices for each pathway. You will not be able to take classes from multiple pathways. It is important to choose now, before you apply. If you have questions about the pathways, please contact Dr. Linda Main.
2. Complete the University's online graduate application. Note: Students applying for the Post-Master's Certificate should select "none" under the degree objective portion of the application. Note: Non-US citizens do not use the "International Admissions Application;" they use the domestic application for Certificate programs. Before completing the online Cal State Apply Application, read the following– and then apply on https://www2.calstate.edu/apply . For assistance with the CSU Certificate application, an online tutorial is available. On the Cal State Apply screen “Enrollment Information,” for the Degree/Credential Objective choice, please choose: “Information School, (Certificate, Post-Master's)”
- Fill out the application to show only your bachelor’s degree institution and your master’s degree institution.
- Non-US citizens: On the Cal State Apply's "Personal Information" application page where it asks for "US state/territory", use the dropdown menu to click "Foreign country"; where it asks for "Citizenship status", use the dropdown menu to click "Other visa"; where it asks for "visa status", put in "U"; and where it asks for the "date issued", type in "01/01/2000".
- A GRE, work experience, academic references, academic honors, and a statement of purpose are not necessary. In the boxes provided on the form, leave these boxes blank. For the "Statement of Purpose" box, only type in the words "not applicable".
- When you click the "Submit" button, the application is electronically submitted to the SJSU Office of Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluation (GAPE). Be sure to print out the "Confirmation" web page for future reference.
3. Pay the CSU Graduate Application fee of $55. Payment of the CSU Application Fee of $55 will be accepted by credit card or PayPal only. The payment must be made in order to submit your Cal State Apply university application.
4. Obtain one sealed transcript for your Bachelor's degree and one for your master’s degree. Send official sealed transcripts to:
Graduate Admissions & Program Evaluation
San José State University
One Washington Square
San José, CA 95192-0017 (Use of any other zip code will cause misdirection and/or loss of transcripts)
Transcripts may be sent electronically. If your school of record has partnered with any of the following vendors, the institution should send the transcripts to SJSU via these vendors and not to us directly. Transcripts in PDF format sent via email from the institution will not be accepted. If the vendor needs an email address, use: firstname.lastname@example.org
Credentials, Inc. or E-scripsafe
National Student Clearinghouse
If you attended SJSU: DO NOT send your SJSU transcript. If you completed SJSU's MLIS program, you do not need to send your Bachelor's transcripts.
Applicants wishing to use Veteran's or military benefits need to check in with the San Jose State University Veteran's Office. CalVet fee waivers cannot be used within the Special Session Post-Master's Certificate Program.
Financial aid is available for Post-Master's Certificate students. See Seven Steps to Financial Aid
Fall 2018 courses begin in late August, 2017. However, we strongly encourage students to begin INFO 203 when the course opens on Aug.1, 2017. The window to request classes for admitted Fall 2017 certificate students will open in late April. To be a part of our "priority" window for Post-Master's student registrations, please complete the web form request early.
Fees will be due within 21 days of enrollment and will be viewable through MySJSU. Pay your fees after you are enrolled in each class. Classes may be dropped for lack of payment.
Our school's online student advisor, Sheila Gurtu, will manage the process to enroll you in the courses you choose each semester. Students already enrolled in the program can take courses during the fall, spring and summer sessions.
Please note that we will try to get you into the class of your choice but cannot guarantee a particular instructor. We do not guarantee a particular instructor for any of our programs.
Time to Completion
Completion of the required 16 units and outcomes assessment project must occur within three years. Post-Master's students may take one semester leave without penalty (summer is not included). Students not enrolled for two consecutive semesters, i.e. fall and spring or spring and fall semesters, will be dropped from the program and must re-apply. Summer semester enrollment does not count toward the consecutive enrollment rule.
For any admissions questions, contact the student services team.