The Teacher Librarian program coursework is approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) and the Council for Accreditation for Educator Preparation (CAEP). The Teacher Librarian program requires the completion of 31 units, including the school library fieldwork capstone course. While not required, Teacher Librarian program students are encouraged to complete additional elective courses and earn their Master's degree in Library and Information Science.
Requirements for a CA Teacher Librarian certificate need the following:
- A valid California Professional Clear Credential
- Basic Skill Authorization
- English Language Learner Authorization
If you are interested in a Teacher Librarian Services Credential from a state other than California, check with that state's Department of Education for its requirements before undertaking this program. It is important to check with your home state to determine if it only requires approved coursework or if you are expected to meet all of the requirements for a CA Teacher Librarianship certificate.
Required Coursework for Teacher Librarian Candidates
These courses are approved for the California Teacher Librarian Services Credential. If you are interested in a Teacher Librarian credential from a state other than California, check with that state's Department of Education for its requirements before undertaking this program.
The Teacher Librarian Services Credential in California requires completion of 31 units.
- INFO 200 Information and Society
- INFO 202 Information Retrieval
- INFO 203 Online Social Networking: Technology and Tools
- INFO 204 Information Organizations and Management
Program Curriculum and Technology:
- INFO 233 School Library Media Centers
- INFO 250 Design and Implementation of Instructional Strategies for Informational Professionals
- INFO 285 Research Methods in Library and Information Science
Information Services and Materials:
- INFO 237 School Library Media Materials
- INFO 266 Collection Management
- INFO 248 Beginning Cataloging and Classification
- INFO 295 School Library Fieldwork (required for ALL Teacher Librarian program students)
These courses are approved for the California Teacher Librarian Services Credential. Please note that the California Teacher Librarian Services Credential (link is external) also requires a pre-requisite California Professional Clear Credential, an English Language Authorization (link is external), and Basic Skills Competencies (CBEST) (link is external).
Required Coursework for the MLIS Degree
Students in our Teacher Librarian program have the option to complete additional elective courses and earn their ALA-accredited Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) degree, expanding their career opportunities in the information professions. To complete the required 43 units of coursework for the MLIS degree, students add four more courses to the 31 units of required coursework for the Teacher Librarian Services Credential – nine more elective units and INFO 289 Advanced Topics in Library and Information Science (e-Portfolio) or INFO 299 Thesis.
Recommended Elective Courses for the MLIS in support of Teacher Librarianship:
- INFO 210 Reference and Information Services
- INFO 240 Information Technology Tools and Applications
- INFO 241 Automated Library Systems
- INFO 246 Information Technology Tools and Applications – Advanced (Topic: Web 2.0)
- INFO 260A. Programming and Services for Children
- INFO 261A. Programming and Services for Young Adults
- INFO 267 Seminar in Services to Youth - (Topic: Children and Information Technology, Intellectual Freedom)
- INFO 275 Library Services for Racially and Ethnically Diverse Communities
- INFO 281 Seminar in Contemporary Issues - (Topic: New Perspectives on Literacies, Transformative Learning and Technology, Story Telling)
- INFO 282 Seminar in Library Management - (Topic: Grant Writing)
- INFO 283 Marketing of Information Products and Services
- INFO 286 Interpersonal Communication Skills for Librarians
- INFO 298 Special Studies