How To Apply

If you have an MLIS degree, you will apply for only the credential. If you do not have an MLIS, we recommend that you apply for the MLIS program instead of just the credential. This is for two reasons: first, most students decide to go on to finish the MLIS because the degree provides many more career opportunities. Declaring the MLIS now is much easier than trying to switch later. Second, as an MLIS student, you are considered a student in the School of Information. As a credential student, you are in the School of Education. It is harder to track your progress and keep you informed. There is no penalty for only completing the requirements for the credential while in the MLIS program. You can stop once you have fulfilled the credential requirements or you can go on to finish the extra 12 units for the MLIS degree.

*Note: Applicants who apply for MLIS and stop out at the TL Credential will not be able to walk in the MLIS commencement ceremony. Contact SJSU College of Education for information about how College of Education honors TL Credential-only graduates.

If you do not live in the State of California it is necessary to contact the certifying agency in your State to confirm the requirements for a school librarian credential. We cannot certify your paperwork for other states if you do not have a Clear California Professional Teaching Credential. States that accept coursework or a MLIS are exempt (Alaska).  If you have specific questions Dr. Mary Ann Harlan can provide further information.

See the Application Process page to learn about which session to apply for and the Application Procedures page, where you will find a tutorial for filling out the application and instructions for submitting your transcripts.