Our instructors are award-winning scholars and leaders in their professional communities.
The San José State University (SJSU) School of Information offers two graduate programs, a post-master’s certificate program, and a doctoral program. We invite you to learn more about each of these programs, aimed at preparing our graduates for leadership roles in rapidly evolving fields. With our fully online delivery model, SJSU iSchool students gain the flexibility and convenience of living anywhere while they pursue their educational goals.
- Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) – Choose from an expansive array of electives and numerous career pathways, tailoring the program to your specific interests and career goals. Our ALA-accredited MLIS program will prepare you for professional positions in many types of information environments. Graduates work in diverse areas, such as website design, digital asset management, information architecture, virtual reference services, archives, electronic records management, and librarianship.
- Teacher Librarian Program – Offered as a career pathway within the MLIS program, Teacher Librarian program students gain the skills and knowledge needed to manage a K-12 school library. The Teacher Librarian program coursework is approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) and National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). While not required, Teacher Librarian program students are encouraged to complete additional elective courses and earn their Master's degree in Library and Information Science.
- Master of Archives and Records Administration (MARA) – Prepare for a career as an archivist or information governance professional in the emerging field of electronic records and digital asset management. MARA students gain the knowledge they need to take on leadership roles in information governance and corporate archives.
- Post-Master’s Certificate in Library and Information Science – Update your professional knowledge and explore emerging trends in the information field, helping you stay competitive in a challenging job market. Earn your certificate in as little as one year. Engage in a collaborative learning environment with graduate students and faculty in our school's ALA-accredited MLIS program.
- i.School Open Classes – This professional development program is open to everyone. Current and future information professionals can enroll in one or more fully online, graduate-level courses, and earn college credit. Most electives offered in our school's master's degree programs are available though the Open Classes program.
- San José Gateway PhD – Offered through a partnership between the SJSU School of Information and Queensland University of Technology, one of Australia’s top research institutions. Take advantage of the convenience and flexibility of a part-time doctoral program, where you’ll gain a global perspective as you interact with scholars and educators on two continents.
- MOOCs – Open to everyone, these free online courses are an extension of our school's curricula and cover topics trending in the information professions.
As you explore the online programs offered at the SJSU School of Information, we also invite you to sign up for our email announcements. We'll keep you informed about happenings at the SJSU iSchool, such as new courses added to our curricula, application deadlines, upcoming open house events, and free webinars. Sign up today!