Director's Scholarship for Excellence
The SJSU School of Information is pleased to offer scholarships for new students during the first semester they are enrolled in the school’s Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) program. The Director’s Scholarship for Excellence recognizes the potential of new students to serve as information professionals and take a leading role in shaping our profession.
Thanks to donations from faculty, alumni, and friends of the iSchool, 25 incoming students to date have been awarded the Director’s Scholarship for Excellence to assist them as they embark on the MLIS journey.
The five scholarship recipients for fall 2017 are Laura Erwin, Lauren Seaver, Kristin Spencer, Lauren McNeil, and Monica Keane. Congratulations and welcome to the iSchool!
The next round of scholarships will be awarded to new students starting the Master of Library and Information Science or Master of Archives and Records Administration program in spring 2018.
All new students admitted to the MLIS or MARA program for spring 2018 and have an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.2 are eligible to apply for a Director’s Scholarship for Excellence.
When you apply, be prepared to upload a copy of your transcript showing your GPA.
How to Apply
Create an infographic/digital poster that highlights your desired career path. Use your creativity and research skills to share (1) your thoughts on what kinds of issues will be important to you in that career, and (2) what drew you to the profession. Be sure to cite your references/sources if using third party information/data.
You may use any tool to create the infographic. A list of 10 free infographic tools can be found here: http://www.creativebloq.com/infographic/tools-2131971. Accepted file formats include PDF and jpeg.
Entries will be judged based on creative presentation of your information in the form of descriptive text, data points, photos/images/graphics, and your overall ability to tell your story.
Once you have created your infographic, complete the online scholarship application form (form will be open from September 1, 2017 through December 1, 2017) and upload the PDF or jpeg. The infographic scholarship application will not be reviewed until after the application deadline.
Scholarship Application Deadlines
For students who have been admitted to the MLIS or MARA program and are starting the program in spring 2018, applications will be accepted beginning on September 1, 2017, and the deadline to apply for a Director’s Scholarship for Excellence is December 1, 2017.
The school’s scholarship committee will review all submissions, select recipients, and notify recipients in mid-December 2017.
Receiving Scholarship Funds
Scholarship funds will be applied to recipients’ fees for the first semester they are enrolled in the MLIS or MARA program.
If you have any questions regarding the Director’s Scholarship for Excellence, contact the Student Services Team.
- The fall 2017 scholarship recipients shared their career aspirations by creating infographics.
- Meet the spring 2017 scholarship winners and view their whimsical Pinterest boards.
- Check out the stories behind the fall 2016 Director's Scholarship for Excellence Pinterest winning applications.
- Learn more about the spring 2016 Director's Scholarship for Excellence recipients and their winning Pinterest boards.
- Watch this short video from scholarship recipient Amber Lawrence, who shares her gratitude and enthusiasm for beginning the MLIS program and studying digital curation.
- Read about the fall 2015 Director's Scholarship for Excellence recipients.
- Hear how the Director's Scholarship for Excellence is making it possible for fall 2015 scholarship recipients Janine Bauer and Beth Berlin-Stephens to earn their master's degrees.
- Check out the SJSU iSchool Pinterest boards.
- Browse information regarding other iSchool scholarships and external scholarships.
- Read profiles of SJSU iSchool students who are past scholarship recipients.
- Check out a post on the iStudent Blog regarding our 2014 scholarship recipients.