It’s a Date: iSchool Poster Session and Reception at CLA Conference Oct. 25
Published: October 21, 2019 by Greta Snyder
If you’re in the greater SoCal area, or can make it to Pasadena, California last minute, you should absolutely come to the SJSU iSchool reception at the California Library Association conference! You don’t need to be a member of CLA to attend this networking opportunity. It’s free to attend and who doesn’t love complimentary hors d’oeuvres, a chance to meet movers and shakers in the field, and to shake hands with some of the iSchool’s incredible instructors and alumni?
Not only will you be able to mingle with influencers and leaders in the field, you can connect with your peers. The reception features a poster session, with students and alumni showcasing their projects, research, and work. Check out this blockbuster lineup:
- Channon Arabit, MLIS Student – Working with the iSchool Web Team and as SJSU ASIS&T’s Webmaster
- David Ballantine, MLIS Student – Some Modern Issues in Reference
- Hayden Birkett, MLIS Student – HERE, QUEER, and UNDERSERVED
- Matthew Chase, ‘17 MLIS – Anatomy of an Exhibit: The Academic Library as Place of Self-Instruction
- Matthew Grills, MLIS Student – Using Audience Response Systems (ARS) to Enhance Story Time
- Camille Hyatt, MLIS Student – Artist Showcase: Promoting Art and Culture at Your Public Library
- Mary Frances Keiser, ‘18 MLIS – Museum Education Programming at the Mission Inn Foundation & Museum
- Monica Vega Latona, MLIS Student – Putting the “A” in Archives! My Internship at the Lavender Library and Cultural Exchange
- Susan Meagher, MLIS Student – How Do You Feel? Community Resources for Depression
- Sharaya Olmeda and Beth Cartier, MLIS Students - Partnerships for Plates: A Handbook to Reduce Food Insecurity
- Rashida Skaar, MLIS Student – It’s a Family Affair: Multigenerational Library Programming at Hercules Public Library (INFO 285 Research Proposal)
- Greta Snyder, MLIS Student – SRJ: Showing the Value of Research (that’s me!)
As one of the presenters myself, I’d love to see you there. I’m looking forward to sharing my poster with you and learning about your work. So, come support your fellow students and meet practicing professionals and potential employers who can accelerate your career.
Let’s make it a date. Add this event to your calendar: RSVP for the reception
Location: Sheraton Pasadena, 303 Cordova Street,
Room: Piazza Ballroom (Reception & Poster Session) and Cordova Room (Food & Beverages)
Date: Friday, October 25, 2019
Time: 4:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. (PST)
If you’re interested in participating as a poster presenter at the iSchool’s CLA reception next year, or looking to see what other iSchool-sponsored poster sessions might be coming to your neighborhood – email the Student Services Team at email@example.com.
Having gone through the poster creation process myself, from brainstorming ideas to executing the final project, I have to tell you, our Student Outreach Specialist Sheila Gurtu was an incredible resource. The process was way more straightforward than I ever imagined. I just put the poster together utilizing a provided template and then Sheila will bring all the materials to the reception. So, voilà, like magic, something that seemed so intimidating, became a breeze.
I am so excited to present my poster focusing on my work as Editor-in-Chief with SJSU’s Student Research Journal and look forward to networking with students and professionals. The chance to make in-person contacts, gain visibility with SJSU alumni and faculty, and introduce myself to potential employers is invaluable. As the SJSU iSchool Career Blog writer, I look forward to sharing in-depth details on how this networking opportunity benefited me.
The bottom line is that even before I go to the reception, I already know I’ve grown so much from putting my work out there to gain constructive feedback and insights from iSchool’s incredible faculty and student support team. I can’t wait to see what I learn from an in-person networking experience.
Stay posted for more on the reception and the poster session, and RSVP to join us in Pasadena for this incredible iSchool opportunity.