Graduate students at the San José State University School of Information are highly encouraged to participate in the student chapters of professional associations and special interest groups. It’s a great way to meet peers, gain experience for resume building, and network.
Check out the student groups offered at the SJSU iSchool:
- New for 2024! The Cyber Intelligence & Security Club is committed to developing the next generation of cybersecurity professionals by fostering the development of knowledge, skills and abilities through projects, competitions, professional networking, and industry presentations. Open to all SJSU students. Complete this form to join.
- New for 2024! The Asian American, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander iSchool Student Group is focused on bringing awareness to the needs of AANHPI students and staff in information professions, engaging the student body in recognition and support for AANHPI students and communities, and promoting connection and cultural understanding. All iSchool students are invited to join. Complete this form for more information.
- American Library Association Student Chapter website.
- ASIS&T Student Chapter website and blog.
- Society of American Archivists Student Chapter website, blog and digital publication.
- Special Libraries Association Student Chapter website and blog.
- REFORMA Student Group website and blog – Focused on serving Latino and Spanish speaking communities.
- VCARA Virtual Center for Archives and Records Administration website and blog – Designed for students and alumni interested in virtual worlds, virtual reality, and related aspects of information science, including archives, education and libraries.
- First Generation Student Group website and blog – Created for students who are the first person in their family history to pursue a master’s degree.
- Advocacy San José State University School of Information Student & Alumni Group
- The UX Student Group is for students interested in UX Design opportunities and careers.
- The Student Research Journal (SRJ) is a double-blind peer-reviewed, open access journal developed and led by current graduate students at the School of Information.
Award-winning Student Chapters
The SJSU iSchool’s student chapters have won numerous awards recognizing their excellence and their innovative approach to serving online students. The ASIS&T Student Chapter has been named the association’s Student Chapter of the Year. The SLA Student Chapter has received the organization’s Student Group Certificate of Merit for Innovative Programming. The SLA Student Chapter was the only U.S. student group to be recognized for the 2014/2015 academic year. In addition, the ALA Student Chapter has been named Student Chapter of the Year five times!
Many of the school’s student groups host meet-ups, special events, and networking opportunities – both virtual and in-person. Check the SJSU iSchool Facebook page often for updates about upcoming events and the Pinterest board for fun pins. The SJSU iSchool student groups also have their own social media. In addition, the student-run Student Research Journal editorial team manages a Student Resource blog.