Manager, Medical Library
Scripps Mercy Hospital
San Diego, CA USA
What I am doing now.
My current job responsibilities include:
- Managing daily operations of the Medical Library including reference services, inter-library loan, document delivery, and technical services.
- Supervising the Medical Librarian, Medical Library Technician and Archivist.
- Overseeing the library budget and ensure effective use of system resources.
- Developing the print and electronic collection of books and journals.
- Regularly updating library policies and procedures.
- Creating and distributing library promotional materials to marketing and communication distribution lists.
- Participating in the CME, GME and Quality Council committee meetings.
What are the most valuable skills I use in my job?
I knew before I began the SJSU MLIS program that I wanted to specialize in medical librarianship. I always had an interest in health and life sciences and thankfully, SJSU SLIS offered a course on medical librarianship taught by Dr. Charles Greenberg. Taking the course really opened my eyes to the exciting role librarians play in health information technologies, medical education and evidence-based research. That being said, the skills that helped me the most in this field are delivering quality reference services, online database searching, collection management, information literacy and interpersonal communication.
It is OK to contact this alumni.
Send email to: Sondhaya McGowan