Networking - What can I ask?
Q: I recently attended a conference and I found that I was not as prepared as I’d like to be with knowing what questions to ask employers or other professionals. Can you help me? Thanks.
A: This is such a great question. I am glad you asked for suggestions as I know how difficult and uncomfortable it can be when you can’t easily think of questions. Here are my recommendations. Choose questions that feel right for you so you sound natural and conversational versus rehearsed.
- I am interested in working in academic libraries. What types of positions are available? What would be the best way for me to get started?
- What is a typical career path like in your organization?
- What skills are valued in your organization?
- What advice do you have for a new grad to be successful in this field?
- What might be a typical entry level position? What type of work would I do?
- What kind of experience would you recommend I get if I’d like to pursue a career in this field?
- If you were graduating today, what would you do to get started in this field?
- What has been your experience to help you be most successful in your career?
- How did you get started in this field?
- What is the best way for me to find out about job openings?
These are just a few good questions you can ask, there are plenty more networking tips and suggestions on our Career Development website.
* Comments in Plain Text Only