iSchool Distinguished Service Award Form: Faculty
General Faculty Eligibility
To be eligible for any of the six faculty awards, an individual must:
- Be a Unit 3 faculty member (must be full time tenure or tenure track faculty member for Outstanding Professor); and
- Not be retired (although retirement during the academic year does not forfeit eligibility for that year)
A. Purpose of the Award
To recognize a faculty member for exemplary service in a leadership capacity to the University and/or the community or profession, that brings credit to the School of Library and Information Science and/or San José State University.
To recognize a faculty member for extraordinary dedication to achieving the aims of the School/College and to enriching the lives of those associated with the School/College.
In evaluating candidates for this award, consideration should be given to the criteria listed below. There is no set-weighting requirement, but it is highly recommended that the recipient have accomplishments in all three broad criteria categories set out below. In addition to the criteria described below, eligibility for this award requires that the faculty member have a consistent record of service at the department, college, and/or university levels.
Contribution to the iSchool Mission
The faculty member’s contribution falls within one or more types of service. Examples of service include, but are not limited to,
- contributions through committee work;
- student outreach and retention;
- application of expertise to benefit the College, and its community through participation in university, college, and community organizations, professional associations, Academic Senate and other governance bodies, California Faculty Association, and appropriate governmental boards and commissions;
- advancement of public support for the College; and/or
- lectures and seminars to community groups.
- The faculty member’s service provides a meaningful benefit to the School/College, his or her profession, and/or regional community.
- The faculty member is able to involve members of the SJSU and iSchool community in the service activity.
- The faculty member’s service has a significant effect on the campus, college, professional or broader communities.
- The faculty member’s service demonstrates leadership and initiative.
- The faculty member has made a consistent contribution of service.
- The faculty member’s service record represents multiple years of commitment.