iSchool Outstanding Lecturer Award Form
General Faculty Eligibility
To be eligible for any of the six faculty awards, an individual must:
- Be a Unit 3 faculty member (must be full time tenure or tenure track faculty member for Outstanding Professor); and
- Not be retired (although retirement during the academic year does not forfeit eligibility for that year)
A. Purpose of the Award
To recognize a lecturer (part-time or full-time) faculty member who has achieved widespread recognition based on the quality of excellence in teaching, scholarship, performances, or creative activities and/or service to iSchool.
In evaluating candidates for this award, consideration should be given to the criteria listed below. There is no set-weighting requirement, but it is highly recommended that the recipient have accomplishments in more than one of the four criteria categories set out below.
- Excellent teaching as demonstrated through SOTE scores, other student evaluations, peer evaluations, external reviews, etc.
- Participates in professional and scholarly activities that enhance teaching ability and currency in the discipline.
Commitment to Students
- Advises students through student organizations, theses, and/or other projects.
- Participates in student orientation and advisement activities.
- Mentors students regarding career and graduate school considerations.
- Engages in service to the campus and/or profession that benefits students.
- Consideration should be given to the nominee’s history of scholarship and creative activities, recognition of outstanding achievements by peers, and importance of the work to the discipline and beyond.
Contribution to the iSchool Mission
- The faculty member’s contribution falls within one or more types of service to the campus. Examples of service include, but are not limited to, contributions through committee work; student outreach and retention; application of expertise to benefit the School/College and its community through participation in university, college, and community organizations, professional associations; advancement of public support for the College; and lectures and seminars to community groups.
- The faculty member’s service provides a meaningful benefit to the School/College.
- The faculty member is able to involve members of the SJSU and iSchool community in the service activity.
- The faculty member’s service has a significant effect on the campus, School/College, professional or broader communities.
- The faculty member’s service demonstrates leadership and initiative.
- The faculty member has made a consistent contribution of service.
- The faculty member’s service record represents multiple years of commitment.