Endowed and Donated Scholarships
MLIS students must have successfully completed the four required core courses (INFO 200, INFO 202, INFO 203, INFO 204); have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5; and cannot be in their last semester in the program.
MARA students must have successfully completed the technology workshop and either: MARA 200 and MARA 204 OR MARA 210 and one MLIS elective; have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5; and cannot be in their last semester in the program.
Application Process and Deadlines
Interested students should complete and submit the iSchool Scholarship Application Form. Applications will be accepted between March 1 and March 31. Scholarship recipients are notified beginning the third Monday in April. Scholarships awarded in the spring will be dispersed toward a recipient’s course fees during the fall semester.
- Alumni & Friends Scholarship: Endowed by the iSchool Alumni Association to provide scholarships for iSchool students. One scholarship at $1,000. Awarded in spring.
- Blanche Woolls Spectrum Scholarship: Endowed in honor of Dr. Blanche Woolls, former professor and director from 1997-2005. $1,000 for a student already holding a Spectrum scholarship from the American Library Association. Awarded in spring. Dr. Woolls is the author of numerous school library publications, and is a past president of the American Association of School Librarians and the International Association of School Librarianship.
- Faculty Scholarship: Endowed by the iSchool Faculty to provide an annual scholarship for a iSchool student, $1,000. Awarded in spring.
- Global Impact Scholarship: For students who demonstrate a strong commitment toward using skills as an information professional to impact global communities and organizations. One scholarship at $1,000. Awarded in spring.
- Graduate Student Scholarship: Funds from donations. Students cannot be in their first semester. One scholarship at $1,000. Awarded in spring.
- H.W. Wilson Scholarship: Endowed by the H.W. Wilson Foundation. One scholarship at $1,000. Awarded in spring. Established in 1952, the H.W. Wilson Foundation supports libraries, library associations, historical societies, cultural programs and scholarships for library and information science programs accredited by the American Library Association.
- Kaiser Permanente Medical Librarianship Scholarship: Endowed by Kaiser Permanente to support candidates interested in a career in medical librarianship and health informatics, $1,000. Awarded in spring. Kaiser Permanente Permanente’s Health Sciences Libraries have grown into a national network of thirty-six on-site libraries. Kaiser librarians have consistently been at the forefront of encouraging the use of the latest technology to provide clinicians needed information resources.
- Leppe Scholarship: Established in 2014, the scholarship was endowed in honor of Louis C. Leppe, a southern California pharmacist, whose daughters, both teachers, were graduates of San Jose State University. “We would like for whoever receives this scholarship to know what a kind and generous man our dad was. We wish the recipients fulfillment of their dreams.” – Trustee, Dolores Daniels. One scholarship of $1,000. Awarded in spring.
- Librarian Opportunity Scholarship: Endowed by Diana Lee Morabito and Keith Ball in support of the important part played by libraries in their life and education. Preference will be given to students who can demonstrate financial need. $1,000. Awarded in spring.
- Terry Crowley Scholarship: Endowed in honor of Dr. Terry Crowley(link is external), former iSchool professor emeritus specializing in reference and information services, one scholarship of $750. Awarded in spring.