10 Things You May Have Missed on the iSchool’s Career Development Site
Published: August 8, 2018 by Evelyn Hudson
As an iSchool student (current or alum) you have access to a really fantastic resource: the Career Development website. This site is chock-full of great advice, how-to’s and more, all relating to landing your dream job. Unfortunately, you may not have been using it to its full potential. Here are just a few of the things you should go check out right now.
- Career Self-Assessment Sheet: If you aren’t sure about your career direction, this sheet will help you figure it out. It asks you questions about your preferences for people, setting and functions in your ideal job. Answering these questions will help you narrow down where you want to end up.
- Alternative LIS Careers: If working in the traditional library setting is not for you, the Career Development website also has information about alternative careers. This part of the website discusses transferable skills, jobs outside of the LIS world that use LIS professionals and how to find an alternative LIS job.
- Career Fair Success Tips: Career fairs are a great way to speak with multiple potential employers and get your foot in the door. But don’t go unprepared! Check out these tips for making the most of a career fair.
- Job Listing Sites: If you aren’t sure where to start looking for a job, look no further than this page. It details multiple job listing sites for LIS jobs.
- Social Media Tutorials: This page is great for learning how to leverage social media in your job search. Learn about using LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook.
- SJSU Career Center Resume 101 Webshop: Watch this short video to educate yourself about writing a great resume.
- Career E-Portfolio Examples: If you want to create an e-portfolio, check out this page. There are great examples of e-portfolios and recommendations for platforms.
- Basic Interview Questions: Take a look at this page before your next interview. It lists common interview questions so you can prep beforehand.
- Career Webcasts: If you want to get more in depth about a topic, there is probably a webcast about it! Check out the many recorded webcasts that cover a wide variety of career topics.
- iSchool Career Blog: Turns out, you are here right now! After you read this article, review one of the many articles detailing everything from networking to interviewing to internships—and many things in between!
What are your favorite pages on the Career Development site? Share in the comments!
New LIS Jobs in Handshake
Head of Reference (Librarian II) Kansas Historical Society
Library Specialist I Cabrillo College
Don’t forget to explore job openings outside of the public and/or academic libraries in Handshake. Consider searching on topics such as taxonomy, research, data management, digital asset management, and similar terms that may reflect your particular LIS skills or area of emphasis.