As soon as you know you are going to travel, submit the online Request for Financial Assistance for Travel Form for full-time faculty and staff or the Request for Financial Assistance for Travel Form for part-time faculty.
Step 1: Note the in order to obtain approval to travel. Please note that the School of Information requires Travel Authorizations to be received 30 days prior to the date of travel for domestic travel, 60 days prior to the date of travel for international travel travel to non High Hazard areas, and 80 days prior to the date of travel for international travel to High Hazard areas.
Restrictions: Assembly Bill 1887 restricts San Jose State University, and its auxiliaries, from requiring employees to travel to certain states, and is prohibited from approving funding or sponsoring travel to those states. A full list of states can be found here.
Step 2: The Request for Financial Assistance for Travel Form for full-time faculty and staff or the Request for Financial Assistance for Travel Form for part-time faculty is approved (or rejected) by the Director and the traveler and Travel Coordinator are notified.
Step 3: The Travel Coordinator will create a FTS Travel Authorization Request and inform the traveler when he or she can input their travel details.
- The traveler and the Travel Coordinator will work together to make sure travel details are in order.
- The Travel Authorization must have an agenda, schedule, letter of invitation, etc., substantiating the reason for travel.
- If the travel includes personal travel dates, you must indicate which dates are for personal travel.
- If the purpose is a business meeting, you must include who you met with, the purpose, and include an agenda.
- The traveler must submit the FTS Travel Authorization Request for approval at this address: https://fts.sjsu.edu/
- The FTS Travel Authorization is required even if a travel reimbursement request will not be submitted and expense details must be included.
- For domestic travel, the FTS Travel Authorization Request must be submitted 30 days prior to the travel date; for international travel to non High Hazard areas, the form must be submitted 60 days prior to the travel date, and for travel to High Hazard areas, the form must be submitted 80 days prior to the date of travel.
Step 4: The FTS Travel Authorization Request is submitted for approval
- Approvals for the FTS Travel Authorizations are as follows:
- Domestic Travel: iSchool Director, CHaHS Dean
- International Travel– Non High Hazard Areas: iSchool Director, CHaHS Dean, SJSU Provost, SJSU President
- International Travel – High Hazard Areas: iSchool Director, CHaHS Dean, SJSU Provost, SJSU President, CSU Chancellor.
Step 5: Once the Travel Authorization has been approved, travel arrangements can begin.
- If you wish to have registration for a conference prepaid, notify the Travel Coordinator.
- The Travel Coordinator goes through Fell Travel to arrange most travel.
- If travel involves stay at a hotel outside of California, the traveler must make their own hotel reservations using their own credit card.
- You can request a tax exemption when checking in to most hotels by submitted a Hotel/Motel Transient Occupancy Tax Waiver.
Step 6: You and the Travel Coordinator will need to be in contact to make airline and hotel reservations.
Step 7: Travel arrangements are finalized.
Step 9: Once travel has taken place, all receipts must be submitted to the Travel Coordinator so that a reimbursement can be submitted. This should be done within 30 days of the conclusion of travel. If the Travel Reimbursement is received after 30 days of the conclusion of travel, the traveler must attach a justification explaining why the travel reimbursement was not submitted in a timely fashion it will then be up to the Director to approve or deny the reimbursement.
- Organize all of the receipts in order of date of travel.
- Tape receipts to a letter size piece of paper.
- If the receipt is vague, provide an explanation.
- You can use the to organize the receipts.
- Receipts can be mailed, dropped off, or scanned and emailed to the Travel Coordinator.
Step 10: The Travel Coordinator will complete the FTS Travel Reimbursement Request and upload supporting documents and receipts.
- Traveler must log in FTS and submit their Travel Reimbursement at this address: https://fts.sjsu.edu/
- Please note, per CSU and SJSU policies, SJSU reimburses travel at the cheapest rate possible for travel.
- See the Travel Policies and Procedures document for an abbreviated listing of what is reimbursable and amounts for reimbursement.
Step 11: The FTS Travel Reimbursement Request is submitted for approval.
- Approvals for the FTS Travel Reimbursements are as follows:
- Domestic Travel: iSchool Director
- International Travel: iSchool Director, CHaHS Dean, SJSU Provost, SJSU President
Step 12: Once the FTS Travel Reimbursement Request has been approved, the data will feed in to PeopleSoft Finance and a reimbursement will be issued by Accounts Payable.
- A check will be issued and mailed to your address unless you have submitted an Employee Reimbursement Direct Deposit Authorization form to Accounts Payable.