Resume Writing Tips
Time to craft your resume? Follow the tips below to get started, and don’t forget to check in with the iSchool’s resume expert, the Career Center’s Carrie McKnight, to either help you get started with the basics or review your draft materials. Email Carrie at Carrie.McKnight@sjsu.edu to set up your individual online appointment.
- Limit your resume to one or two pages maximum.
- Always give specific examples of accomplishments, skills, and results.
- Start sentences with followed by descriptive words.
- Proofread carefully for spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors.
- Make sure verb tenses are correct: present tense for current jobs, past tense for past jobs.
- Use traditional fonts (Times New Roman, Arial, Calibri, Verdana) sized 10-12 points.
- Keep your resume free of vertical and horizontal lines, graphics, color, italics, and columns.
- Do not include references on your resume. A “References Provided” statement is not necessary at the bottom of your resume. (Provide references only when requested.)