5th Annual VCARA Conference Announcment: Come Join Us!
~May 20, 2014~
5:30–8:30 p.m. SLT (PST)
PRESERVATION AND DOCUMENTATION
There are many ways to share wisdom and culture in both the physical and virtual worlds. Attend this conference to learn how those presenting provide access to stories, educational experiences, administrative publications, historical events and more.
At 5:30 p.m. SLT, Geoffrey Giglierano will set the stage for the conference by speaking about Building a Shared Narrative: Living, Learning, and Storytelling in Virtual Communities.
John Jamison will follow at 6 p.m. with an example of providing a learning experience in virtual worlds with an overview of the Lincoln Walks Project and a comparison of Second Life and Unity 3.
At 6:30 pm SLT participants will enter the VCARA Walkway to attend presentations on a number of diverse but related topics, including:
- Reality Reflected: Recreating public library YA spaces in Second Life — Lori Harris
- Preserving Local History in Virtual Worlds: West Fargo — Erienne Graten
- Educational & Preservation Considerations in VCARA — Faylene Keep
- Machinima as a Means of Virtual World Event Preservation — Sarah Fihe
- Archiving an Academic Research Tool: PREMIS and XMP as Tools for the Task — Laurentia Romaniuk
- Preserving Digital Objects — Mariea Daniell Whittington
- Documenting Educational Experiences Using Machinima of Object Displays — Marie Vans
Immediately after the final presentation, you’ll be transported to the SLIS Virtual Training Center created by Snow Scarmon to see what goes into creating environments and course materials for Virtual Worlds Courses.
A brief visit to Renaissance Florence will follow so that you can see one of the existing class projects before space is made for Pre-Revolutionary France.