5th Annual VCARA Conference – Call for Papers!
Looking for a way to gain conference experience without the cost of having to travel? Present a poster at the Fifth Annual VCARA Conference on May 20, 2014!
The Virtual Center for Archives and Records Administration (VCARA) of San Jose
State University is sponsoring our fifth annual conference on Access through Preservation and Documentation in the virtual meeting and learning spaces on SLIS Island. The aim of this conference is to touch on topics relating to protecting our access and preservation.
This year’s theme is Access through Preservation and Documentation in Virtual Worlds.
Call for presentations that focus on issues related, but not limited to, any (or combination of) the below potential topics:
Preserving memories through Storytelling
◦ Examples of storytelling for archival and documentation purposes, best practices for archiving and documenting stories, technologies, research, techniques, and tools for archiving or documenting stories.
◦ Examples include documenting 3D arts, educational objects, role playing, entertainment, games. Tools and technologies for documenting creativity in 3D worlds. Research methods and ethical issues.
Preserving Education Digital Objects
◦ Building archival and documentation procedures into instructional design for teaching in 3D worlds. Methodology efficacy of preservation/documentation processes. Cross disciplinary methods and practices.
Preserving Complex Objects
◦ Examples include educational or instructional courses, entire simulation for educational purposes including 3D objects, machinima, and events.
Faculty and friends:
This is an excellent opportunity to present and discuss your research. Both completed research and research in progress will be considered.
Students and alumni:
Students and alumni are highly encouraged to submit work related to their current or past courses—this is a great opportunity to share what you have learned! Students and alumni are encouraged to propose presentations reflecting on their experiences gained in courses, the workplace or through an internship that relate to working with digital media or in virtual environments.
NOTE: Potential presenters can propose additional topics if it relates to overall theme of the Conference
The submission must consist of an emailed letter stating your name(s), institutional affiliation(s), and contact information. Include a title, brief abstract of your work, and any other details that may be relevant. We will provide instruction and support for presenting in the virtual environment. Most presenters use Microsoft Power Point slides and create a podcast, and we can assist in the process of uploading any materials you submit into Second Life.
The deadline for submissions is March 31, 2014.
Please send submissions to:
Dr. Patricia Franks
Associate Professor and MARA Program Coordinator
School of Library and Information Science San Jose State University
Or send submissions to:
VCARA Graduate Assistant
May 20, 2014 – from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. SLT (pacific)
Schedule of Activities:
● Introduction and Welcome to 5th Annual VCARA Conference (5:305:
● Keynote Presentations (5:35 to 6:25 p.m.)
● Poster Presentations (6:30 to 7:50 p.m.)
● Questions and Networking (8:00 to 8:30 p.m.)
Mark May 20th in your calendars and present a poster and listen to presentations by your fellow classmates. It should be fun!