Deaf Community and Culture and Best Practices for Libraries
Deaf History Month Free Symposium
This event features presentations on Deaf history, community, and culture, and a discussion of best practices for services to the Deaf community.
The recording will be posted in about two weeks.
Welcome (1 – 1:10 p.m. Pacific Time)
- Anthony Chow, Mary Bolin
Opening Keynote Address ( 1:10 – 1:40 p.m. Pacific Time)
- Joan Naturale, NTID Librarian, Rochester Institute of Technology
Presentation on Libraries and the Deaf Community ( 1:40 – 2:10 p.m. Pacific Time)
- Alice Hagemeyer, Librarian and current leader of Bridging Deaf Cultures, an interest group of the ALA Office for Diversity, Literacy, and Outreach Services.
Library Services to the Deaf Community Panel Discussion (2:10 - 2:40 p.m. Pacific Time)
- Danica Rice, Head Librarian, Luce J. LeBlanc Memorial Library, Springfield Oregon
- Rosa Rodriguez, Deaf Literacy Center Manager, Pinellas County Library, Florida
- Marti Goddard, Access Services Manager, San Francisco Public Library
Concluding Remarks (2:40 – 3 p.m. Pacific Time)
- Anthony Chow, Director, SJSU School of Information