For the official statement of policy on this matter as passed by the Academic Senate, see:
SJSU School of Information AI Assisted Software Academic Integrity Policy
v1 adopted on September 14, 2023
The use of ChatGPT and any other AI-assisted software must be cited as a reference source, to be consistent with the requirement to cite reference and quotations where ideas and sentences are used from other sources. Failure to cite the use of any AI-assisted software constitutes a violation of SJSU policy F15-7 and the School of Information’s academic integrity policy.
This policy is not exhaustive. If students are uncertain as to how to proceed with the use of AI-assisted software in their coursework, it is their responsibility to confer with the instructor of that particular course.
In the APA editorial style, you are to cite the use of AI-Assisted software as follows:
- For the in-text citations (places in the narrative where you used the tool)
- For the reference
OpenAI. (2023). ChatGPT (Sep 14 version) [Large language model]. https://chat.openai.com/chat
For more about how to cite ChatGPT and other AI-assisted software, refer to APA.
- See what you should do as outlined by the SJSU Office of Student Conduct & Ethical Development: Academic Integrity
- A report of the incident must be sent to the Office of Student Conduct & Ethical Development:
- Look for the Academic Integrity Violation Reporting Form [PDF]:
Basically, an instructor has the following options if they determine that student work has been plagiarized (student’s willingness to admit to infraction is an important factor):
- lower a grade on an assignment
- assign a zero for an assignment
- lower the final course grade
- assign an “F” grade for the course
Helping Students to Avoid Plagiarism
Sometimes students are not clear about what constitutes plagiarism. The King Library has put together three videos that include why and how to avoid plagiarism and what is copyright infringement and fair use. King Library: Plagiarism Graduate Level.
SJSU has a license to use Turnitin to help detect copied work. Typically this is done as part of the Canvas Assignment Manager.