Stay Ahead of the Curve
Published: August 21, 2019 by Greta Snyder
Okay, so the summer was busy. No matter if you were working tons of hours, applying for jobs, taking classes, or attempting to finally do some self-care and binge watch your favorite series, go for a hike, or just relax (what’s that again?) you were trying to stay focused in the world-record heat. With fall about to kick in, don’t stress, just find strategic ways to catch up. That’s why I put together a June and July SJSU iSchool News and Blogs highlight reel. So, get smart, and watch this quick recap video, read the overview below and click on stories that will inspire you to keep pushing forward with your education and career.
Stay updated to get ahead
Want to stay ahead of the curve at SJSU iSchool and in your MLIS Career? Then, read the news and follow the blogs.
Been missing out? Don’t worry, check out these summertime highlights from:
June and July offered so much to celebrate. Like scholarships – you should definitely read the full articles to hear student stories and find out about opportunities for yourself.
- 3 iSchool students receive REFORMA Scholarships for commitment to serving Spanish-speaking communities: congrats to Luisa Leija, Cynthia Cortes and Renee Torre.
- 3 iSchool students receive SCALL Scholarships to pursue law librarianship. Pictured here: Havilah Steinman and congrats also to Jimmy Pak and Rachel Galindo.
- 34 iSchool students receive scholarships totaling $48,348 for grad studies.
- 12 exceptional MLIS and MARA students receive 16 scholarships to fund grad education.
The news also featured some impressive faculty honors. Congrats to Dr. Michele Villagran, awarded grant for special project: Examination of Cultural Intelligence within Academic Law Librarians, and to Dr. Bill Fisher, inducted into SLA Hall of Fame. In addition, read more about exciting, well-deserved faculty promotions for Dr. Kristen Rebmann promoted from associate to full professor, Dr. Michelle Chen recently tenured promoted from assistant to associate professor, and Dr. Tonia San Nicolas-Rocca also recently tenured and promoted from assistant to associate professor.
A few other choice highlights from the news:
- The new SJSU MLIS in Informatics Program awarded $50,000 grant for innovation.
- SRJ (Student Research Journal) an open access journal dedicated to LIS research, is SJSU’s only double-blind, peer-review graduate student journal and it just released the 17th issue.
This blog, the career blog, is a must-read for students and job seekers and it is written by current iSchool MLIS student, Greta Snyder (that’s me). Here are some top reads from June & July:
- Is your resume a hot mess?
- MLIS Skills at work 2019 put out by SJSU iSchool. Did you read it? Don’t worry I did.
- Interview questions? Bring it on.
- How to use keywords to find jobs.
All students need to check out the iStudent blog for resources and advice. It is written by current iSchool student Havilah Steinman. A few top stories from this summer:
- A day in the life of a student featuring Rosa Conrad, a library services specialist at California State University San Marcos and iSchool student.
- The Special Libraries Association Student Chapter hosted an event on information professionals working in the corporate world. Havilah attended and shares the recap.
- Learn about the exciting work of iSchool Director Dr. Sandra Hirsh and lecturer Dr. Sue Alman exploring blockchain for the LIS field.
Hello, MARA students and any LIS student or professional interested in archives and records management, this blog is for you. The blog is run by MARA Program Coordinator Dr. Patricia Franks and features posts by students. June and July offered some very interesting reads:
- Get to know the MARA student assistant and blogger Kenna Wulker.
- Australian National Archives are at risk – find out what is at stake
- Interested in internet archives? What happened to MySpace audio files.
CIRI is the Center for Information Research & Innovation at SJSU and focuses on fostering LIS research to benefit a global audience. How cool is that? This blog is run by CIRI coordinator Dr. Lili Lou. This summer featured exciting news that Dr. Anthony Bernier was awarded a prestigious ALA diversity grant to study the experience of iSchool first generation students. Find out more about results & future directions of his innovative research here.
Thanks for reading this post and watching the video; look forward to August recap and stay posted on the news and blogs at ischool.sjsu.edu in the “News & Events” section. Are you excited about starting a new job, jumping into the Fall semester, or looking for more info on any hot career topics? Let’s connect; I’d love to meet you! Please comment below, email me, Tweet at me, or message me on LinkedIn.
Career development opportunities
- Read the SJSU MLIS Skills at Work Report for latest career trends in the field
- Listen to iSchool Career Podcasts – streaming free
- Find an Internship using SJSU iSchool Internship Database
- Present at California Library Association – deadline to apply September 30
- Library 2.019: Emerging Technology – October 30 – 12-3 PT – free, live online
- Watch iSchool Career Workshops – streaming free
- SJSU iSchool alumni or student? – email iSchool Career Consultant Jill Klees your resume for insights and suggestions
Jobs in Handshake (requires login to Handshake)
- Project Archivist (Non-Profit) – Bakersfield, NC
- Librarian – Teen Services (Public Library) – Windsor, CA
- Library Associate, Digital Initiatives & Publishing (Academic) – New Orleans, LA
- Data Scientist (Government) – Boise, ID
- Database Administrator (Corporate Sector) – Boston, MA
- Health Record Technician (Health Sector) – Atascadero, CA
- Research Librarian for Engineering & Biotechnology (Academic) – Raleigh, NC
- Bilingual Student Financial Services Outreach (Higher Education) – Monterey, CA
- Junior Developer – Data Visualization (Corporate Sector) – Chicago, IL