An Authentic Lens: Understanding and Supporting the Asian, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander Community
Asian, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander Heritage Month Free Symposium
The SJSU School of Information is hosting a free online symposium in celebration of Asian, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Heritage Month. The presentation will begin with a keynote address by ALA President Patty Wong followed by a panel discussion about library services for the Asian, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander community.
The recording will be posted in about two weeks.
I. Welcome (10 – 10:05 a.m. Pacific Time) – Dr. Anthony Chow, SJSU iSchool Director
II. Keynote Address (10:05 – 10:45 a.m. Pacific Time): Patty Wong, ALA President and City Librarian, Santa Clara City Library
III. The Diverse Needs of the API Community (Panel Discussion; 10:45 – 11:55 a.m. Pacific Time)
- Jeanette Contreras, Director, Placentia Library District
- Gayathri Kanth, Director, City of Palo Alto Library Services
- Heidi Kim, PhD, Director, UNC Chapel Hill Asian American Center and Professor of English and Comparative Literature
- Nancy Kim Phillips, Community Engagement Manager, Stokie Public Library
- Michael Lambert, Director, San Francisco Public Library
- Alan Shoho, PhD, Dean and Professor Emeritus, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee School of Education
IV. Concluding Remarks (11:55 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Pacific Time)