The San José State University School of Information prepares individuals for careers as information professionals. Graduates work in diverse areas of the information profession, such as user experience design, digital asset management, information architecture, electronic records management, information governance, digital preservation, and librarianship.
The SJSU School of Information offers several online educational programs for undergraduates, graduate students and professionals. Our bachelor’s and master’s degree programs are, as follows:
- Bachelor of Science in Information Science and Data Analytics;
- Master of Library and Information Science, a fully accredited degree program by the American Library Association;
- Master of Archives and Records Administration;
- Master of Science in Informatics.
Several online specialized programs are also offered, as follows:
- California Teacher Librarian Services Credential program, a second credential program for those looking to work as a school librarian in California;
- Advanced Certificate in Strategic Management of Digital Assets and Services, available to both current master’s students and information professionals looking to gain practical skills needed to manage the increasing variety of digital information;
- Post-Master’s Certificate in Library and Information Science, designed for those who already hold a master’s degree and want to stay current with emerging trends;
- Gateway PhD in Library and Information Management, offered in partnership with Manchester Metropolitan University.
In addition, a plethora of professional development and continuing education opportunities are available to the public. In support of our commitment to lifelong learning, we offer live and on-demand webcasts, the Library 2.0 virtual conferences, the Open Classes program, faculty presentations, and more educational opportunities—many of which are free.
All programs are delivered online, and our school is a recognized leader in online education. A member of the Online Learning Consortium – formerly known as Sloan-C – we received the OLC’s 2014 Outstanding Online Program Award for the MLIS program and the 2013 Sloan-C Effective Practice Award in recognition of effective use of the Online Learning Consortium Quality Scorecard for Online Programs. Our school is also a member of Quality Matters, a faculty-driven, peer-review process that is designed to certify the quality of online courses. SJSU is fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
Our school has awarded graduate degrees to information professionals for more than 55 years. Based in Silicon Valley, our vibrant community continues to inspire innovation in the library and information science field worldwide.