DJI Ryze Tello
The Tello drone, with its low price point and barrier to usage, is an excellent way for libraries to delve into both technology literacy and STEM programming for patrons of all ages.
With its small size and low flight time and range, the handheld Tello drone is a gateway drone suited for indoor and limited outdoor usage. The Tello drone is programmable on the Tello App, Scratch, or Python, which allows users to make pre-made flight instructions and take awesome aerial footage.
- Aerial footage: Librarians can capture aerial footage of the library and use the images and videos as marketing materials for the website and upcoming events and programs.
- Drone workshops: Librarians can teach drone technology through classes and workshops and introduce patrons to the principles of aerial photography, flight, coding with Scratch and Python, and other related topics. The programs can engage children, teens, and young adults in STEM programs while fostering an interest in technology and innovation.
There are many other use cases where librarians can utilize the Tello drone to improve library resources and programs. The specific applications can vary depending on the library’s needs, goals, and target audience.
Palo Alto City Library: LTI Lab’s First Partnering Library
Palo Alto City Library’s Tello Drone & Scratch Library Program: Library Program Coordinator at the Palo Alto City Library Dan Lou has been a tremendous and crucial partner to the LTI Lab since the beginning of its inception. Dan Lou brings a deep understanding of technology use in libraries and has been an exceptional and visionary pioneer at the Palo Alto City Library in bringing new technology tutorials.
Alto Library’s ReBoot Room
- Looking to learn new library skills or enhance your career prospects? In 2022 the City of Palo Alto Library opened the Reboot Room, a new lab space designed to promote digital literacy and help community members level up their technology skills.
- Sign up or drop by on Fridays and Saturdays for eHelp, or take advantage of the lab’s expert staff using the Vintage Media Lab. This is also where we stream weekly on Twitch! Follow the links on this page for more info.
- Weight: Approximately 80 g (Propellers and Battery Included)
- Dimensions: 98×92.5×41 mm
- Propeller: 3 inches
- Built-in Functions: Range Finder, Barometer, LED, Vision System, 2.4 GHz 802.11n Wi-Fi, 720p Live View
- Port: Micro USB Charging Port
- Max Flight Distance: 100m
- Max Speed: 8m/s
- Max Flight Time: 13min
- Max Flight Height: 30m
- Detachable Battery: 1.1Ah/3.8V
- Battery life: ~13 minutes, 1.5 hours to charge
- Photo: 5MP (2592×1936)
- FOV: 82.6°
- Video: HD720P30
- Format: JPG(Photo); MP4(Video)
- EIS: Yes