iSchool Hubs: How to Get Started
All iSchool students are eligible to request a Hubs room on our instance. You may want the room as a graduation showcase, or with instructor permission, as an alternative format for a final project. You may consider creating a room for a remote conference presentation, proof of concept demo for your current or future job, or to create an exhibit for The Banned and Controversial Gallery. All of these are great opportunities to jump into the world of virtual reality. The skills you learn using Hubs also transfer very well to working with other virtual platforms. Please follow the steps below to begin your journey!
- Fill out this form to register for a room: https://forms.gle/XgA5MvaDcMu9oZnY9.
- Meet with a member of the iSchool Hubs Team. (We’ll reach out to schedule a short time that works for you. We create a room and give you moderator access so that you can design your room and edit room control settings.)
- Favorite your room so you can easily find it again.
- Empty/unused rooms are subject to being closed two years after initial creation. We send reminder emails each semester to all Hubs room owners reminding them how to get help if they want to develop their rooms and also how to close them if they don’t want to use them anymore. Two years after a room has been created we close all empty ones. Rooms that have been customized to be part of any kind of permanent exhibit, however, will remain open unless you decide to close it or request that we close it for you. NOTE: If you have not yet graduated after two years and your room was closed, you can always get a new one.
- Disclaimer: The SJSU iSchool does not have the ability to control the nature of the user-generated content offered through Hubs; either on the Mozilla server or via the Hubs code hosted on iSchool servers. You are solely responsible for any content you publish and your interactions with other users. We will not be liable for any damage or harm resulting from any content published on our Mozilla Hubs instance. We reserve the right, but have no obligation, to monitor interactions between you and other users of our Hubs rooms and to take any necessary action to restrict access to or the availability of any material deemed objectionable.
What Happens After You Graduate?
Your room will persist after you graduate (unless you decide to close it), but you will no longer be able to make changes to it when you lose your SJSU email account. Additional information before you graduate will be provided, but we recommend you download your Spoke files, so that you can migrate your room content to another instance later if you want. We also have the ability to close your room later if you want it taken down.