Library Advocacy Best Practices
ALA Recommendations for State-Wide Library Advocacy with links to
ACRL LibGuide on Advocating for Library Workers in Uncertain
Advocacy Tips from Princh (good tips regarding social media, make
your own hashtags)
- Identify policy issues / what you will be working on.
- Define advocacy and how it is different from lobbying.
- Network with others doing work in your field and utilize personal contacts as needed to garner support. Work on finding a strategic partner.
- Be polite. Be consistent.
- Use technology such as social media, podcasts, and blogs to reach people outside of your geographical region.